Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2007/02/28 01:33:19 UTC

41 patches available, was: querying when patches are available for jiras

Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> kelvin goodson wrote:
>> I did a bit of digging on this and after a discussion thread on the
>> incubator general list (
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=117244617308996&w=2)
>> we
>> now have a patch available field.  You should be seeing the column
>> appear in
>> JIRA queries now.  I have set the flag true for a number of existing SDO
>> JIRAs.  I haven't been able to determine all possible state
>> transitions for
>> all kinds of users, so we'll need to work out a policy for changing this
>> flag after a bit of experience.
>>
>> My unconfirmed understanding is that non-committers get one chance to
>> set
>> this flag at origination,  and committers can change the flag by
>> clicking
>> "Edit" on the jira page.  There's no magic here,  its just a boolean
>> that
>> can be toggled,  i.e. there's no clever analysis of file names of
>> attachments.
>>
>> If my assumptions are correct, then I suggest that a non-committer
>> who has a
>> problem and a solution to the problem should set the flag true on
>> origination,  and then follow up by attaching the patch (they might
>> consider
>> delaying creation of the JIRA if it is their intention to provide a
>> patch,
>> in order that the origination and attachment steps are separated by a
>> short
>> time).  Apart from that situation it's then down to committers to see
>> attachment notices arrive and toggle the flag. As I said,  that's all
>> contingent upon my assumptions being correct.  Please post here to
>> confirm /
>> contradict.
>>
>> Regards, Kelvin.

>>> admin
>>> this up

>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg17264.html

>>> that
>>> patch is
>>> that?

>>> you to

>>> JIRA

>>> patches?
>>>

>>> I've had no replies and still not been able to work out how to
>>> configure
>>> JIRA for this sorry. I'll go ask around some more...
>>>
>>>    ...ant
>>>

> Kelvin, that's great! Thanks
>
> If that helps, I'll review our JIRAs today and will set the patch
> field for the SCA JIRAs containing patches.

I went through our JIRA issues. Out of 245 open issues, I found 41 open
issues with patches attached to them, waiting to be applied or to be
marked resolved if they have been fixed. I may have missed a few as
scanning all of them was error prone, so if you find more patches please
feel free to edit them and check the "patch available" checkbox.

Could our committers please take a minute to look at this list:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310210&status=1&status=3&status=4&resolution=-1&customfield_12310041=Patch+Available&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC
and update the status of the JIRAs for the areas that they are working on?

Thanks

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: 41 patches available, was: querying when patches are available for jiras

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,
  thanks for doing this trawl, and for such a big effort I'm sure the best
thing to do was to give each JIRA a quick scan and then do any fix up
later.  It does raise the issue that just looking at the attachments and the
resolution status is not sufficient to determine whether a patch is
available, e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1132 had some
comment history in it to indicate that the patch available flag had been
explicitly cleared due to the preceding comment history.  I'll fix this up
again (once the JIRA system comes back online),  but I think it's worth
raising the point that, now we have a reasonable application of the flag
throughout the set of JIRAs, alteration of the flag should require either a
good working knowledge of the JIRA or close inspection of the JIRA comment
history.

--
Kelvin.