Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/27 13:09:44 UTC

[RT] Struts 3?

Hello guys,

are there already plans for a Struts 3?

I have several features I would love to see. The good user I am, I
share it with you :-)

* JSR-330
Currently Struts uses Spring as DI provider. But there is now a
standard. Should't it be used? Reference implementation is available
with Google Juice. Spring could be optional only. My guess is that
many features of Spring are unused for a normal webapp and using plain
Java is always nice, if it is not java.util.logging (kidding)
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=330

* Annotation-driven Actionmapping
There was / is a Plugin doing that, but it was deprecated recently.
Why not break up Struts and check if Annotations aren't possible from
the core? XML is out - Annotations are in. These Annotations was one
of the "coolest" features when somebody has explained me why the Play
Framework is so cool

* Log4j 2.0
Currently there is some effort with Log4j 2.0. It is far from
proudction ready at the moment, but Struts 3 could take a while.
Besides, version used by struts is 1.2.9. But the current is 1.2.16.
Time for an upgrade in current development?

* Complete assimilation of WebWork
As a user I always had some trouble with WebWork separated from
Struts. I remember the discussion when WebWork was merged - it was all
about easy migration for WebWork users and such. Now, with changing
the Actionmapping to Annotations and use of JSR-330 it might be a good
time to merge WebWork fully into Struts and change the package names.
I am not sure if I am aware on all complications, but my users heart
desires easy to understand modules :-)

* OGNL 4.0
OGNL is a Commons project now. It may take a while until the next
release, probably it is ready for a Struts 3, maybe even earlier.
Latest with Struts 3, OGNL 4.0 should be there.

So, I am not sure if there is enough interest or enough manpower to do
the changes. Maybe there are some other roadmaps around. I couldn't
find them. In any case, I am interested in your thoughts of the future
Struts development, be it S2 or S3.

Cheers
Christian

RE: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
we use Jalopy formatting referenced in the build
http://jalopy.sourceforge.net/

I would prefer the user not be married to a interceptor library OR any DI library
the pom should be the ultimate arbiter of which interceptor or DI methodology a user wants to use

what has been characterised as XML hell takes away configuration responsibilites from Sys admin and delivers to the developer
your proposal to gut XML Declarators to populate those details by annotations probably will not work in production environments
and may cause proposed future developments in Struts to lose to Spring or Seam

I have my reservations for Whistler..see you soon
Martin
Note de déni et de confidentialité

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> I have several features I would love to see. The good user I am, I
>> share it with you :-)
>>
>> * JSR-330
>> Currently Struts uses Spring as DI provider. But there is now a
>> standard. Should't it be used? Reference implementation is available
>> with Google Juice. Spring could be optional only. My guess is that
>> many features of Spring are unused for a normal webapp and using plain
>> Java is always nice, if it is not java.util.logging (kidding)
>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=330
>
> As already said in this thread, S2 internally uses a very early version
> of Guice, directly contributed by Bob Lee - not Spring as in earlier
> WebWork days. Nevertheless Spring is directly supported for user's DI.

yes, I learned that now.

> Supporting JSR-330 can be divided into two seperate questions - do we
> want to base the framework internal DI on JSR-330 or do we want to
> provide JSR-330 support for users.
>
> The first question, is answered with yes, would most probably result in
> replacing the pre-release Guice by a current version. It would be great
> to see this happen, although this is a massive refactoring - some of us
> already had a deeper look into it, it's kind of frightening...

If everybody is afraid to replace a pre-release Version of a lib with
a stable release - well, that's bad.
Of course I have no oversight on the impact. But using the latest
developments in a framework is a good thing.
As Struts 2.3.x release process mainly provides smaller portions of
code, a branch for this improvement would be helpful, if it will be
ever started.

> For the user side, it is all about the DI plugins such as Spring or
> Guice plugin. The plugin has to care about how injection should happen
> within actions and interceptors. As for the Spring plugin, when used
> with Spring 3+, it should support JSR-330 afaik.
>
> More interesting from the user perspective is IMHO JSR-299 (CDI), which
> builds on JSR-330. This brings real power and choice to the user.
> Luckily the CDI plugin was just promoted out of the sandbox, so the next
> full release would support it.

Very interesting!

>> * Annotation-driven Actionmapping
>> There was / is a Plugin doing that, but it was deprecated recently.
>> Why not break up Struts and check if Annotations aren't possible from
>> the core? XML is out - Annotations are in. These Annotations was one
>> of the "coolest" features when somebody has explained me why the Play
>> Framework is so cool
>>

> I'm also pretty much for making the convention plugin a part of core.
> This does not mean we have to ditch XML configuration in any way, but it
> would bring annotation and convention support out of the box, without
> the need to find the right plugin. Making this a first class citizen
> would help to remove the notion of Struts = XML hell :)

++1

>> * Log4j 2.0
>> Currently there is some effort with Log4j 2.0. It is far from
>> proudction ready at the moment, but Struts 3 could take a while.
>> Besides, version used by struts is 1.2.9. But the current is 1.2.16.
>> Time for an upgrade in current development?
>>
> It's great to see that log4j gets new momentum, and I even saw some
> interesting discussions about pimping commons-logging over at Commons I
> guess. Nevertheless we should take into account that we're providing
> just the toolkit with which others build their actual applications. Each
> application has it's own operations plan, and it should be free to chose
> the right logging framework for it's needs. To switch to a pluggable
> logging system would IMHO be the natural choice, and although I'd
> usually prefer some homebrew from Apache, slf4j currently seems to be
> the leader of the pack.
>
> As you're quite involved as I know, could you give us a brief status on
> what is going on in logging abstraction land over at Commons?

Hard to say to be honest. The discussion raises now from time to time.
A few are looking at slf4j too and consider commons-logging as dead.
Others say: it works, it is not dead, it is just complete. There is no
real consens on what will happen to commons-logging.

But it seems people are looking eagerly at log4j 2.0. logback is
rising, but it has not reached the market share of a log4j. I think
this might be the last chance for the log4j project to keep the pole
position.

My feeling says, if log4j 2.0 does not come, log4j will die, and then
commons-logging will die too.

But there are very good signs at logging. At logging we try to push
now the next chainsaw release. Log4j2 gets quite good commits recently
and had its discussions already on list.

If I would maintain a framework like Struts I would ask myself these questions:
- how important is a switchable logging system really (for my users)?
- slf4j is still not world dominating - is it ok for me to rely on an
API which is mainly driven by one man? (slf4j/logback has a different
development model and without the dev leader, nothing happens)
- What actually gives slf4j to me?

My impression is Struts should wait - thats why I said in "Struts 3".
Look at the how log4j2 develops. If it fails, then there is probably
no discussion necessary.

>> * Complete assimilation of WebWork
>> As a user I always had some trouble with WebWork separated from
>> Struts. I remember the discussion when WebWork was merged - it was all
>> about easy migration for WebWork users and such. Now, with changing
>> the Actionmapping to Annotations and use of JSR-330 it might be a good
>> time to merge WebWork fully into Struts and change the package names.
>> I am not sure if I am aware on all complications, but my users heart
>> desires easy to understand modules :-)
>>

>> * OGNL 4.0
>> OGNL is a Commons project now. It may take a while until the next
>> release, probably it is ready for a Struts 3, maybe even earlier.
>> Latest with Struts 3, OGNL 4.0 should be there.
>>
> Great, of course - hopefully even with some solution for WW-3580 ???
> Good to see OGNL being vivid again, especially here at Apache!

I do not know if WW-3580 is addressed, but I will post this to the
commons dev list.
No reason why projects should not help each other :-)

Cheers
Christian

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Christian,

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the move toward SLF4j.  The ability for the end user to choose the
logging engine that works the best for their installation is a major plus.
And taking into account that Log4j is totally supported by SLF4j means that
we can make this move without anyone losing any functionality or being
required to change their own project dependencies (like a change to Log4j
2.0 would require).
  (*Chris*)
On Aug 27, 2011 11:30 AM, "Steven Benitez" <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that log4j is an Apache project shouldn't be a deciding
> factor, IMO. slf4j is widely adopted and would allow you to easily
> route the log messages to your favorite log framework -- be it log4j,
> logback, etc.
>
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Maurizio Cucchiara
> <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>> *  Struts doesn't use Spring for DI. It actually uses an early version
of
>>> Guice.
>> Yep, IIRC the original author of Guice wrote the DI module which is
>> still in use.
>>
>>> *  There were two annotation-based plugins. One is deprecated, the other
is
>>> not. Take a look at the convention plugin. There has been some debate
over

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Steven Benitez
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that log4j is an Apache project shouldn't be a deciding
> factor, IMO. slf4j is widely adopted and would allow you to easily
> route the log messages to your favorite log framework -- be it log4j,
> logback, etc.

Some are really emotional on their AL 2.0 license - me included. For
me (and some others) it is a very important factor

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Steven Benitez <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> That's correct too, many of the S2 user prefer the XML approach
>> (myself included), since allows to do stuff like hot reload in
>> devMode,  automated documentation, etc.
>
> In fairness, we could create identical documentation with the
> annotations/convention, too, we just don't :)

Oh yes please.

I have not found this plugin except with this thread. Looking at it,
it was pretty hard to find the docs (not the api docs) explaining the
usage. Looking at the plugin, it looks like it is "just another
plugin", and I have made the experience to be a bit careful with that
kind of side projects. While the Struts core is all well and good, my
feeling (!!) as a user is that the plugins are not so well cared. But
it is just a feeling.

> When Christian has talked about WebWork, I assumed he was referring to
>> the opensymphony stuff (like packaging, etc). Again, there has been
>> some debate over as well.
>>
> My current thought would be to have S2 subsume the package names, but still
> have the action framework itself decoupled from the web parts, as it is now,
> but bring the XW stuff under the S2 name... I can't think of a better
> alternative, anyway.

Actually I was speaking on the package names. It was confusing to see
they are not apache package names.

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Maurizio Cucchiara wrote:

> Yep, IIRC the original author of Guice wrote the DI module which is
> still in use.

I *still* haven't looked at it, but I wonder if it'd be worth pulling out
those guts and replacing it w/ the current version.

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.
FYI I have just opened an issue [1] for the log4j version.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3673

Maurizio Cucchiara

Re: [RT] Struts 3?

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.