Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Dmitry Beransky <db...@ucsd.edu> on 2001/11/14 22:18:13 UTC

public access

Hi,

I remember reading about this somewhere, but as it always happens, now that
I need the info, I can't find it.

How do I set up a directory (/files/public) with a universal read
access?  I've tried adding a read permission to nobody to the node, but
still get asked for a password trying to access it.  Do I need to change
anything in tomcat's configuration.  (this all is still black magic to me).

Thanks
Dmitry

Re: public access

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> Hi,
>
> I remember reading about this somewhere, but as it always happens, now
that
> I need the info, I can't find it.
>
> How do I set up a directory (/files/public) with a universal read
> access?  I've tried adding a read permission to nobody to the node, but
> still get asked for a password trying to access it.  Do I need to change
> anything in tomcat's configuration.  (this all is still black magic to
me).

Yes, that's quite hard to do, because the security constraints declaration
in the servlet API are not that flexible. They are defined in the webapp
descriptor (the /WEB-INF/web.xml in the WAR).

Remy

Re: public access

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
You have to edit web.xml file and remove the security constraints.
Remove GET,HEAD,OPTIONS,PROPFIND

Change to something like:
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>DAV resource</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
      <http-method>COPY</http-method>
      <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
      <http-method>LOCK</http-method>
      <http-method>MKCOL</http-method>
      <http-method>MOVE</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
      <http-method>PROPPATCH</http-method>
      <http-method>PUT</http-method>
      <http-method>UNLOCK</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>

For read/write access install then a second servlet with the normal
security constraints
otherwise clients might get confused.

Dirk