Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lee Carroll <le...@googlemail.com> on 2018/04/24 16:26:02 UTC

solr cell: write entire file content binary to index along with metadata

Does the solr cell contrib give access to the files raw content  along with
the extracted metadata?

cheers Lee C

Re: solr cell: write entire file content binary to index along with metadata

Posted by Rahul Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
Lucene ( the major underlying Tech in SolR ) can handle any data, but it’s optimized to be an index , not a file store. Better to put that in another DB or file system like Cassandra, S3, etc. (better than SolR).

In our experience , leveraging the tika binary / microservice as a pre-index process can improve the overall stability of the SolR service.

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.singh@anant.us

Anant Corporation

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Lee Carroll <le...@googlemail.com>.

> *That's not usually the kind of information you want to have in a
> Solrindex.  Most of the time, there will be an entry in the Solr index
> thattells the system making queries how to locate the actual data --
> afilename, a URL, a database lookup key, etc.*

 Agreed. The app will have a few implementations for storing the binary
file. Easiest for a user to configure for proto-typing would be store in
index impl. A live impl would probably be fs

   *We don't recommend using solr-cell for production indexing.*

Ok. Are the reasons for:

Performance. I think we have rather modest index requirement (1000 a day...
on a busy day)

Security. The index workflow is, upload files to public facing server with
auth. Files written to disk, scanned and copied to internal server and
ingested into index via here.

 other reasons we should worry about ?

Cheers Lee C

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.