Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/03/13 12:40:09 UTC

audio support in RDP

Hi,

I'm having audio quality issues in RDP sessions.

The goal is to connect to an RDP server (Windows 10 desktop) running a SIP softphone. The softphone works fine locally, but it's audio isn't that great when connecting from Guacamole (even in LAN - so it's not a network bandwidth issue).

I've set enable-audio-input to true, and all seems to "work" but the audio quality is rather bad (usually the MIC but not always).
The SIP softphone I'm using is the jitsi desktop client.

The above has been tested with the latest Firefox ESR.

With Google Chrome the audio doesn't work altogether.

Is this a know issue?

Is anyone using a similar setup? If so, would changing softphones make any difference (it doesn't seem to, but I only tried two)?

Vieri

Re: audio support in RDP

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Friday, March 13, 2020, 9:03:08 PM GMT+1, Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.com> wrote:

> For Chrome, yes. This should be fixed on git:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-905

OK, thanks. Chrome now works just like all the rest of browsers, ie. input audio (MIC in) is crystal clear, output audio (speakers) is pretty bad. The RDP session has nothing fancy (no videos), and the same audio over RDP works great both ways when using the native MS remote desktop client (Windows 10 client to Windows 10 server). No network bandwidth issues.

I've updated to latest GIT guacamole-{server,client} and freerdp. Still the same behavior.

BTW there's no need to use a SIP client on the RDP server to reproduce this issue. Playing an audio file is enough. If it's long you should hear the audio distortion or loss. If you record an audio from your client's MIC then download that file somehow to your client machine then the audio playback should be crystal clear.

Vieri

Re: audio support in RDP

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.com>.
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 5:40 AM Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having audio quality issues in RDP sessions.
>
> The goal is to connect to an RDP server (Windows 10 desktop) running a SIP
> softphone. The softphone works fine locally, but it's audio isn't that
> great when connecting from Guacamole (even in LAN - so it's not a network
> bandwidth issue).
>
> I've set enable-audio-input to true, and all seems to "work" but the audio
> quality is rather bad (usually the MIC but not always).
> The SIP softphone I'm using is the jitsi desktop client.
>
> The above has been tested with the latest Firefox ESR.
>
> With Google Chrome the audio doesn't work altogether.
>
> Is this a know issue?

For Chrome, yes. This should be fixed on git:

- Mike

Re: audio support in RDP

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Friday, March 13, 2020, 06:51:12 PM GMT+1, Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> BTW I tried Edge, and it sounded a lot better

Scratch that. Edge is behaving the same way. I also tried Opera. So all the browsers are alike, but MSTSC works fine. So I guess it's either Guacamole or freerdp.

Vieri

Re: audio support in RDP

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Friday, March 13, 2020, 2:40:55 PM GMT+1, Andrew Kopp <ak...@soleilfoodservice.com> wrote:

> I would first rule out guacamole and connect to server using MSTSC directly (with audio redirection enabled), see if the issue is truly in guacamole or not.
>
> Another pointer is on the terminal server to check the policy on audio quality :
>
> -Load up Group Policy editor on terminal server
> -Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Device and Resource Redirection
> -Select Limit audio playback quality and enable it
> -Select High under Audio Quality option

Hi, Andrew.
The gpedit.msc settings were really useful as I was having trouble at first with MSTSC. Now, with the native RDP client on Win10 with audio redirection, the SIP client works great over RDP. I still have horrible audio quality when using Guacamole with Firefox. However, bad audio quality is *only* in the output (ie. the softphone's MIC sounds great to the remote party, but the softphone's earphones are very lossy (as if audio packets were being lost). So the SIP softphone client has a hard time hearing the remote party.

> Check your permissions on chrome

OK, finally got it working, but the audio on the headset is just as bad as with Firefox.

BTW I tried Edge, and it sounded a lot better (the headphones are still not as clear as the MIC, but a lot better than with Firefox or Chrome). However, I'd rather avoid that browser because I'm having issues with key strikes. As reported earlier, I'm losing keys (some key up events not detected).

> The other thing I would consider here is deploying the sip client remotely.

Yes, I'm doing that now, and it's working a lot better. However, it's more of a hassle because as I have an old Asterisk 1.4 SIP server, and I don't have a SIP NATting proxy, I require installing a VPN client on each machine (with all the security-related issues) & the softphone... Well, it's a longer process.

Thanks,

Vieri

RE: audio support in RDP

Posted by Andrew Kopp <AK...@soleilfoodservice.com>.
Hi Vieri,

This is a complex issue. SIP is highly sensitive to latency already - and putting your audio through RDP is just adding a layer to that problem. The first thing to mind when reading this is it might be one of those "Just because I can do it, doesn’t mean I should do it" sort of scenarios (my own opinion really).

I've seen a mixed bag of experiences with audio over RDP (even without guacamole), where in most cases there is a noticeable lag on the audio depending on how active the screen was - for example, video playback always had a noticeable desync on audio. One of the solutions I implemented where real-time audio was needed via RDP was this: http://www.sound-over-rdp.com/ (no affiliation)

But you can technically accomplish the same with this free option: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

Fun stuff aside, you can try the following to see if this helps/narrows down the problem:

I would first rule out guacamole and connect to server using MSTSC directly (with audio redirection enabled), see if the issue is truly in guacamole or not.

Another pointer is on the terminal server to check the policy on audio quality :

-Load up Group Policy editor on terminal server
-Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Device and Resource Redirection
-Select Limit audio playback quality and enable it
-Select High under Audio Quality option

Check your permissions on chrome - I've had success using two-way audio via chrome without much configuration needed. It's usually a permissions situation where you need to grant access to your microphone within chrome

The other thing I would consider here is deploying the sip client remotely. I would think you have your reasons to put it in the RDP session (lack of session border controller, but ultimately you might be adding a lot of trouble on your plate to support this going forward...

Andrew

I'm having audio quality issues in RDP sessions.

The goal is to connect to an RDP server (Windows 10 desktop) running a SIP softphone. The softphone works fine locally, but it's audio isn't that great when connecting from Guacamole (even in LAN - so it's not a network bandwidth issue).

I've set enable-audio-input to true, and all seems to "work" but the audio quality is rather bad (usually the MIC but not always).
The SIP softphone I'm using is the jitsi desktop client.

The above has been tested with the latest Firefox ESR.

With Google Chrome the audio doesn't work altogether.

Is this a know issue?

Is anyone using a similar setup? If so, would changing softphones make any difference (it doesn't seem to, but I only tried two)?

Vieri

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please disregard. This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.

For more information about our privacy policy and how we process data, please visit our website and use the Privacy Notice link located on the main page.