Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mk...@baselogic.com> on 2009/02/12 23:31:54 UTC

slightly [ot] Help setting up a MAC for Maven

I am used to configuring Windows and Linux as a developer machine. But want
to setup a mac now. And I am finding it tough to add maven 2.0.9 along with
MAVEN_HOME, as well as a newer JDK 6 and JAVA_HOME so I can run command line
builds on a Mac. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something?

---
Thank You…

Mick Knutson, President

BASE Logic, Inc.
Enterprise Architecture, Design, Mentoring & Agile Consulting
p. (866) BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
f. (415) 685-4233

Website: http://baselogic.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mickknutson
---

Re: slightly [ot] Help setting up a MAC for Maven

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.
On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Mick Knutson wrote:

> I am used to configuring Windows and Linux as a developer machine.
> But want
> to setup a mac now. And I am finding it tough to add maven 2.0.9
> along with
> MAVEN_HOME, as well as a newer JDK 6 and JAVA_HOME so I can run
> command line
> builds on a Mac. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something?

I prefer using a package manager such as Fink or MacPorts to install
Maven. They can download, install, and set up environment variables in
one step, and they make removing or upgrading packages just as easy.

http://www.finkproject.org/
http://www.macports.org/

Trevor

Re: slightly [ot] Help setting up a MAC for Maven

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.
On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:50 PM, David C. Hicks wrote:

> As far as I know, there is no Java6 for Mac, yet.

There is, but the Apple-provided one is only for 64-bit Intel machines
running Leopard. An alternative is SoyLatte:

http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/

Trevor

Re: slightly [ot] Help setting up a MAC for Maven

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone. That helped. and this transition is a bit strange. But
thanks!

---

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
You can download java 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 updates here :
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2733
You can switch between them using Java Preferences in Applications >
Utilities > Java

For maven you just have to extract it somewhere (in a local Application
directory of your user's home for example) and you put it's bin directory
before the predefined PATH in your ~/.bash_login script

Arnaud

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM, David C. Hicks <dh...@i-hicks.org> wrote:

> The Mac isn't much different than your Linux systems. The trickiest part is
> that they don't use the /home directory. Users are located in /Users,
> instead. (I can't imagine why they did that, but it doesn't matter.)
>
> You still have .bashrc and .bash_profile available to you in your user's
> home directory. So, it's no trouble to install Maven there and set up your
> environment variables the as you might on Linux. If you prefer to set things
> up so that they are more universally available on the Mac, you can always
> "sudo bash" and go to town as the root user. I'm not at my Mac, right now,
> so I can't speak in specifics. If you would like more details, shoot me back
> a private email and we can take it offline.
>
> As far as I know, there is no Java6 for Mac, yet. So far, the only
> compatibility difference I've run across, as compared to the available
> Java5, is that the String.isEmpty() method doesn't exist in Java5. We simply
> changed our code to use commons StringUtils.isEmpty().
>
> Dave
>

> Mick Knutson wrote:
>
>> I am used to configuring Windows and Linux as a developer machine. But
>> want
>> to setup a mac now. And I am finding it tough to add maven 2.0.9 along
>> with
>> MAVEN_HOME, as well as a newer JDK 6 and JAVA_HOME so I can run command
>> line
>> builds on a Mac. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something?
>>
>> ---
>> Thank You…
>>
>> Mick Knutson, President
>>
>> BASE Logic, Inc.
>> Enterprise Architecture, Design, Mentoring & Agile Consulting
>> p. (866) BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
>> f. (415) 685-4233
>>
>> Website: http://baselogic.com
>> Linked IN: http://linkedin.com/in/mickknutson
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/mickknutson
>> Vacation Rental: http://tahoe.baselogic.com
>> ---

Arnaud

Re: slightly [ot] Help setting up a MAC for Maven

Posted by "David C. Hicks" <dh...@i-hicks.org>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
If it's Mac OS X, then it's exactly as in Linux. One thing that might trip
you over is OS X comes with built-in version of Maven 2.0.6. Rename
/usr/bin/mvn to mvn.bak or something, then proceed as normally when setting
up your bash environment (modify .bashrc etc.). I just helped one guy to set
it up remotely, so should be simple.

Kalle