Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Lex Spoon <le...@lexspoon.org> on 2006/02/08 16:08:25 UTC

design docs for repositories?

Hi, we at the Scala group (scala.epfl.ch) are looking at community
infrastructure to share artifacts around.  Joel Trunick pointed me
towards Maven.

Maven is interesting for us to begin with as simply an improved ant for
building software.  More specifically, though, its support for remote
repositories and for inter-package dependencies is intriguing, because
we've made a special effort to try and support Scala enthusiasts sharing
the things they make with each other.

Our running approach in "Scala Bazaars" is to use something based on
Linux distributions called "package universes".    I am wondering if we
should adopt Maven's approach instead, or if our approach has something
Maven would find useful, or if otherwise there is a sensible way to
combine efforts?

I have poked around on maven.apche.org but so far have not run into a
good description of the rationale and design for (1) repositories and
(2) dependencies between artifacts.  Can anyone point me to a good read?

For example, one question I have is: does Maven support haing multiple
remote repositories, analagous to non-standard Debian apt repositories?
 And on a related note, does it support multiple streams of development,
analogous to stable and unstable streams for Debian distributions?
Package universes is careful to allow all of this.

I look forward to any pointers and thoughts.  Here's some info on where
Scala's artifact-sharing infrastructure is for now:

	http://lamp.epfl.ch/~spoon/sbaz

Regards,

Lex Spoon

Re: design docs for repositories?

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Yes, in Maven you can have multiple remote repositories.  This is most
commonly done to have an "internal" repository for non-public
distributions, in addition to the public open-source repository.  But
you can have as many remote repositories as you wish.

-Stephen

On 2/8/06, Lex Spoon <le...@lexspoon.org> wrote:
> Hi, we at the Scala group (scala.epfl.ch) are looking at community
> infrastructure to share artifacts around.  Joel Trunick pointed me
> towards Maven.
>
> Maven is interesting for us to begin with as simply an improved ant for
> building software.  More specifically, though, its support for remote
> repositories and for inter-package dependencies is intriguing, because
> we've made a special effort to try and support Scala enthusiasts sharing
> the things they make with each other.
>
> Our running approach in "Scala Bazaars" is to use something based on
> Linux distributions called "package universes".    I am wondering if we
> should adopt Maven's approach instead, or if our approach has something
> Maven would find useful, or if otherwise there is a sensible way to
> combine efforts?
>
> I have poked around on maven.apche.org but so far have not run into a
> good description of the rationale and design for (1) repositories and
> (2) dependencies between artifacts.  Can anyone point me to a good read?
>
> For example, one question I have is: does Maven support haing multiple
> remote repositories, analagous to non-standard Debian apt repositories?
>  And on a related note, does it support multiple streams of development,
> analogous to stable and unstable streams for Debian distributions?
> Package universes is careful to allow all of this.
>
> I look forward to any pointers and thoughts.  Here's some info on where
> Scala's artifact-sharing infrastructure is for now:
>
>         http://lamp.epfl.ch/~spoon/sbaz
>

> Regards,
>
> Lex Spoon

Stephen Duncan Jr