Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/10/08 22:00:23 UTC

not getting a stacktrace on an exception

I'm getting a Status 500 error page in my app

org.blacksail.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:146)
root cause java.lang.StackOverflowError

It goes on to say that "the full stack trace of the root cause is
available in the Tomcat logs.", but it isn't. I have the looked on the
console, in the engine, host & context log files but I can't find a
stack trace.

Whether I need one or not is questionable - that
SetCharacterEncodingFilter is the one from tomcat's example app and has
been working faultlessly for at least two weeks on tomcat5. Sets
encoding to UTF-8.

I can't think of what I have changed that has caused this, so I am at a
loss. There's nothing in bugzilla that looks like this, and I can't see
anything relevant in the archives.

It's reproducible, every time at the same place. Is there anything I can
do or should I just log it straight into bugzilla?

Adam
--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Re: StackOverflow

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
For all those out there hanging on every msg in this thread, it seems it
was just an infinite loop. Personally I think it was gremlins that came
in last night and coded it.

Remarkable how their coding style is so similar to my own. ;)

At least there's one positive point, I'm learning to listen to the
little voice in the back of my head, which told me not to put it in
bugzilla with lots of quotes from Nietzsche and Dostoevsky.

But seriously, the original error message was amazingly misleading. That
my code threw the exception was my fault but tomcat couldn't handle the
stack trace and worse, output an error message quoting my filter as the
source.

I know the filter would have been near the bottom of the stacktrace,
since it would be amazingly long due to the infinite loop, but of course
it made me think that tomcat had fallen over trying to handle the
request before it even passed it on to struts & my code.

No? Is this an issue?

Adam

Re: StackOverflow

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.