Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Frankson <df...@qwest.net> on 2001/11/19 18:17:20 UTC

Java program interferring with Tomcat

    I have a server running Tomcat 4.0 on Win2k with the Sun VM JRE 1.3.1.  At 11am each day I have a commandline Java program scheduled to run using Window's scheduler.  When this program runs, Tomcat becomes unresponsive.  The process appears to still be running, but I need to restart it to get it to continue serving pages.  There are no errors in any logs.  The only shared resource between the two programs is SQL Server.  There are two processes running, so both programs should be in seperate VMs.

Any ideas?

Dave

Re: Java program interferring with Tomcat

Posted by Denis Balazuc <de...@trader.com>.
It happens to me, but in reverse order - I think it is related to the
JDK/JRE itself, not to Tomcat.
I use the same environment (win2k, jdk or jre 1.3.1).

When Tomcat runs, and I launch the install shield for any installation from
Sun (Java related of course),
the installation programs sits there and does nothing - yet it's still
alive....

Stopping Tomcat suddenly wakes up the install program and everything's
fine....
I have noticed this strange behaviour a couple of times already and really
wonder why this happen.
I thought it has something to do with Win2K and Install-Shield (something
like a registry key lookup that takes forever to complete), but it's
apparently not the case...

As this does not happen with other install-shield based program, I think
there's something wrong in the JRE....

Regards
Denis