Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ralph Grove <gr...@jmu.edu> on 2012/11/16 20:06:18 UTC

Problem with tomcat and JRE1.7

I just upgraded my JRE from 1.6 to 1.7, and the tomcat home page now
throws an exception (below). The example apps, and my own apps are still
working OK, though.

Anyone else noticed this problem?

System configuration:
MacOS 10.8.2
JRE 1.7.0_09
Tomcat 7.0.32
The server is at http://geo-query.cs.jmu.edu

Thanks,
Ralph Grove

*type* Exception report
*message* _java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;_
*description* _The server encountered an internal error that prevented
it from fulfilling this request._
*exception*
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:343)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
*root cause*
java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.<init>(Validator.java:514)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validateExDirectives(Validator.java:1795)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:217)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:373)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:353)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:340)
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:646)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:357)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
*note* _The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the
Apache Tomcat/7.0.32 logs.
_

full trace:
Nov 16, 2012 1:36:00 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path []
threw exception [java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;]
with root cause
java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
     at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator$ValidateVisitor.<init>(Validator.java:514)
     at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validateExDirectives(Validator.java:1795)
     at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:217)
     at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:373)
     at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:353)
     at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:340)
     at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:646)
     at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:357)
     at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
     at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
     at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
     at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
     at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
     at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1002)
     at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
     at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
     at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
     at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Re: Problem with tomcat and JRE1.7

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Nov 16, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Ralph Grove wrote:

> I stopped tomcat, deleted work and all of the application directories that were derived from war files. Same problem after restarting, though. It looks like all JSP's are failing.

Couple more thoughts…

1.) Download a fresh copy of Tomcat 7.0.32, don't may any changes, don't deploy any of your apps.  Start it up and see if the root and example applications work OK.

2.) On the Tomcat instance that generates the error, add the "-verbose" JVM option.  This will log the classes that are loaded and the location from where they were loaded.  Look to see if any of the Tomcat / JSP classes are being loaded from anywhere other than "$CATALINA_HOME/lib" or "$CATALINA_BASE/lib".

Dan

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Problem with tomcat and JRE1.7

Posted by Ralph Grove <gr...@jmu.edu>.
It seems that the war file that I was installing contains its own
version of the servlet API, which evidently conflicts with the one
Tomcat 7 is using. I'm not sure of the details yet, but it you're
curious you can find the war file within this zip:
http://semwebcentral.org/frs/download.php/513/Parliament-v2.7.4-darwin.zip

Thanks,
Ralph

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi. Thanks for the update.

Posted by Ralph Grove <gr...@jmu.edu>.
The problem turned out to be one of the war files that I'm loading into
Tomcat. JSP's work fine until that particular war file is deployed, but
afterwards JSP's will no longer compile correctly. Only those JSP's that

Posted by Ralph Grove <gr...@jmu.edu>.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.