Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com> on 2021/09/03 18:15:28 UTC

Re: Dropping @Experimental from SqlTransform

Note Schemas are also Experimental and are used by SqlTransform. Should we
also drop the Experimental tag for schemas? I can't decide, so I'll instead
present my internal debate:

Argument against dropping Experimental:
There are some controversial parts of the schemas type system that we may
want to solidify (e.g. can we drop the primitive DATETIME type that is
actually an instant? we should agree on the definition of a logical type,
and define how they are distinct from a user type). It would be nice to
address these before dropping Experimental.

Argument for dropping Experimental:
Schemas are likely used widely enough that any breaking changes should be
announced and go through a deprecation cycle, which is inconsistent with
the @Experimental tag.

Brian

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Another alternative would be to drop Experimental on Schemas, but keep
it for some of the types that we're still not sure about, like
timestamps.

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.