Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> on 2012/05/23 18:21:32 UTC

[WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?

As part of the transfer of the web properties of OOo to the ASF, the set
of related domains has also been offered to ASF.
We (PPMC) need to decide what we want to do with the related domains.
There are three obvious options available to us:

  * Ignore and let the domains expire
  * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
  * Continue to register and forward to oo.o

And...
Just to make things more complex, I've grouped the domains into two
groups.  similar-domains, nls-domains.
What are peoples' thought on what to do with each group??

A.

similar-domains

    www-open-office.org 	ooo3.org 	testopenoffice.org

nls-domains

    openoffice-pt.com 	openoffice-pl.com 	openoffice-nl.com
    openoffice-fr.com
    openoffice09fr.com 	openoffice-gratuit.com 	de-openoffice.org
    deopenoffice.org
    de-openoffice.com 	deopenoffice.com 	es-openoffice.com
    esopenoffice.com
    fr-openoffice.com 	fropenoffice.com 	it-openoffice.com
    itopenoffice.com
    en-openoffice.org 	enopenoffice.org 	es-openoffice.org
    esopenoffice.org
    fr-openoffice.org 	it-openoffice.org 	itopenoffice.org
    nl-openoffice.org
    nlopenoffice.org

Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
On 05/23/12 11:21, Andrew Rist wrote:
> As part of the transfer of the web properties of OOo to the ASF, the
> set of related domains has also been offered to ASF.
> We (PPMC) need to decide what we want to do with the related domains.
> There are three obvious options available to us:
>
>  * Ignore and let the domains expire
>  * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>  * Continue to register and forward to oo.o

I would suggest forwarding the similar domains to www.openoffice.org, and
the nls stuff to their corresponding websites but let the domains expire.

Pedro.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-05-26, at 11:10 , Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Sun allowed them to operate.

It wasn't Sun. Sun and Oracle, for that matter, didn't even really turn a blind eye. For most of its history with OOo/SO, Sun couldn't care less and when it did notice bad actors (defrauders, scammers, etc.) it acted to suppress: it wanted to do that with the first NL satellite, the French StarOffice support project maintained by G. in France. It was actually only by converting (or not, there were many failures) the bad to the good or indifferent (vis., the CDROM sites) that I was able to move such outcropping reefs to friendlier berms.

What I would propose is to formalize the process of inclusion as Shane suggested. I tried this with OOo but Sun was loath to embark upon this course.

Louis

Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 2012-05-25 9:37 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> On 2012-05-25, at 20:34 , Albino Biasutti Neto wrote:
>
>> Hi.

>>> of related domains has also been offered to ASF.
>>> There are three obvious options available to us:

>>> As I have mentioned more than once, I seem to own openoffice.ca and would
>>> be willing to contribute it (or whatever one does) to AOO. In general,
>>> historically we have approached the owners of such sites and asked them to
>>> work with the community.

If the PPMC is interested in keeping that domain, then please do work
with infra to get it transferred.  That would be great.

>> +1
>>
>> The better option.
>>
>> There are many alternatives. I don't like very much and confuse me.
>

> Likewise. I prefer very simple and when possible friendly solutions.
Only if the rose of friendship is crushed should we show our thorns. But
in general what I would rather have is that for all similar to AOO
domains a) pointing to AOO proper, and if needed, the NL projects, and
b) hosting, as mirrors, code, binaries, documents, if that is desired.

> There is a third point. One reason I tacitly enabled and even
> silently
promoted the development of these satellites was to promote the global
ecosystems that implicitly support OO by providing support, etc. Thus,
I'd be in favour of proposing a model where a domain that reflects
"openoffice" and is used in behalf of the wider community, be promoted.
The only things to stipulate would be, I imagine, that any binaries or
code offered as representing or identical to AOO *be* such; and that any
representations of or on behalf of AOO be in keeping with Apache's
ethos. That said, should it be the case then, that there is no need for
such satellites and that they only serve to confuse, then, of course, we
simply say, no—to this proposal, to the satellites, unless there is a
good reason for them.

Yes - a robust ecosystem is important for the long-term health and
growth of AOO or any Apache project.  However we need to be clear on
branding guidelines, and ensure that there's a clear separation between
anyone representing themselves as "official" AOO things, versus everyone
else.

*Only* PPMC-controlled sites or activities should be using our full
branding and call themselves "official" or other similar wording.
Everyone else is welcome to talk about our brands and products, and
indeed talk about how amazing/awesome/whatever support/addons/whatever
they make on top of our products.  But these other domains and groups
should *not* be presenting themselves as part of the AOO project or part
of the ASF in any way.

In the end, I think a lot of these initiatives can continue in a
productive way - although some of the subtleties of how they brand
themselves may need to change compared to how Sun allowed them to operate.

- Shane

> But I think as long as the freedom described above is not confusing
and does not lead to deception, that it will only actually help the
expansion of the communities.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Roberts <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Guys,
I'm not part of the PPMC, but, I do have an opinion on this topic if it matters? :D I think that the easier it is for the AOO population to reach grandma Freeda in Kansas that doesn't know the real difference or use the features of the office suites they are currently being charged for within the sale of most computers. Can be easily misdirected by the "Vendors/Conmen" who sell the AOO products and don't offer any value add to the customer.

Abandoning the old domain names would be a major opening for these folks to exploit the populations that are not skilled enough to understand all the "magic" that is offered for their productivity and enjoyment from the wonderful and skilled groups like this one.

Greg Roberts

________________________________
Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 2012-05-26 9:23 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Fernando Cassia<fc...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Rob Weir<ro...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, the easy decision is simply to say "yes" to everything.
>>> But unless the ASF gets free registrations, this is a cost that will
>>> need to be handled on an ongoing basis.
>>>

>> Suppose we're speaking about 10 domains, I don't think $100 /year is going
>> to break the ASF's coffers, or does it?.
>>
>> http://www.maddogdomains.com/?isc=mddgdic04&gclid=CMH82K_gnLACFQKCnQodP1NCYA
>> .com $8.17/yr
>> .org  $7/yr
>>

> I count 28 domains on Andrew's list.
>
> The 28 by themselves is not a huge expense.  I just want us to
> consider whether this actually accomplishing anything.  For example,
> I'd hate to see us expand this strategy to other NL's or other
> permutations of domain names without really understanding how the
> "game" is played today.  With the expansion of TLD's, the game seems
> to be getting domains like openoffice.fm and then using Twitter and
> Google+ to spam advertisements, or to use Google or Bing sponsored
> search ads to drive traffic to the fake website.

Don't worry particularly about cost.  If there's a good reason, and an
agreement within the PPMC for the project to request it, we should be
able to take care of it.

Personally, I support continuing any existing domains, simply because
there may well be existing links or traffic to them already which we
don't want to fall into spammer's hands.

I don't see the need to go grab a whole bunch of new names though,
unless there's specific evidence that shows there's value in it.  There
are far more important things to work on than trying to out-guess
spammers who rely on mis-typings.

- Shane

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:
> As part of the transfer of the web properties of OOo to the ASF, the set of
> related domains has also been offered to ASF.
> We (PPMC) need to decide what we want to do with the related domains.  There
> are three obvious options available to us:
>
>  * Ignore and let the domains expire
>  * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>  * Continue to register and forward to oo.o
>

> And...
> Just to make things more complex, I've grouped the domains into two groups.
>  similar-domains, nls-domains.
> What are peoples' thought on what to do with each group??

As far as domain squatters, I have seen nothing that suggests that
those who want to confuse users lack creativity and the means to pick
names that are just as good as the ones on your list, e.g.,
openoffice.fm.  So I'm not sure we actually prevent anything by
registering these domains.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 23/05/2012 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 05/23/2012 08:03 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> I think the third option is the best. All those domains serve a
>>> purpose, to catch typing errors...
>> Good points. Option #3 is best.
> Simply +1 :-)

Sure. All good reasons and, besides those, it would be extremely good to
communicate that this project is actively involved in limiting
"typosquatting" (while of course we can't register all domains similar
to "openoffice", at least we redirect some common typos to the official
site).

If I recall correctly, Rob was preparing a post about other sites
offering OpenOffice, and it would be nice to include this information in
it, to show that we care about end users in this respect too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/23/2012 08:03 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On May 23, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Andrew Rist<an...@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> * Ignore and let the domains expire
>>> * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>>> * Continue to register and forward to oo.o
>>>

>> I think the third option is the best. All those domains serve a purpose, to
>> catch typing errors (ie "fropenoffice.org" instead of fr.openoffice.org)
>> and lead users to the right page. An annoyed user these days can quickly
>> change his mind and go somewhere else instead of realizing that he made a
>> typing mistake, corrent the URL, and retry.
>>
>> Just learn from Google who has registered almost every variation of
>> www.google.com and you always get to the same page...
>>
>> Just see what happens when you type wwwgoogle.com...
>> FC
>
> Good points. Option #3 is best.

Simply +1 :-)

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 23, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> * Ignore and let the domains expire
>> * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>> * Continue to register and forward to oo.o
>>

> I think the third option is the best. All those domains serve a purpose, to
> catch typing errors (ie "fropenoffice.org" instead of fr.openoffice.org)
> and lead users to the right page. An annoyed user these days can quickly
> change his mind and go somewhere else instead of realizing that he made a
> typing mistake, corrent the URL, and retry.
>
> Just learn from Google who has registered almost every variation of
> www.google.com and you always get to the same page...
>
> Just see what happens when you type wwwgoogle.com...
> FC

Good points. Option #3 is best.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/23/2012 10:46 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> It depends on what the PPMC thinks, and also how popular the links to
> those existing domains are. IF any of them still have much attention
> publicly, then it's probably worth keeping them for the time being,
> pointing to an appropriate place on oo.o.
>
> - Shane, who had one of his previous unused domains taken over by a
> squatter (and it's not like I'm famous!)

good advice...

we should investigate them further. Some of them currently
"resolve"...how odd.

> On 2012-05-23 12:21 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:
>> As part of the transfer of the web properties of OOo to the ASF, the set
>> of related domains has also been offered to ASF.
>> We (PPMC) need to decide what we want to do with the related domains.
>> There are three obvious options available to us:
>>
>> * Ignore and let the domains expire
>> * Continue to register to block squatting, but do no more
>> * Continue to register and forward to oo.o
>>

>> And...
>> Just to make things more complex, I've grouped the domains into two
>> groups. similar-domains, nls-domains.
>> What are peoples' thought on what to do with each group??
>>
>> A.
>>

>> similar-domains
>>
>> www-open-office.org ooo3.org testopenoffice.org
>>

>> nls-domains
>>
>> openoffice-pt.com openoffice-pl.com openoffice-nl.com
>> openoffice-fr.com
>> openoffice09fr.com openoffice-gratuit.com de-openoffice.org
>> deopenoffice.org
>> de-openoffice.com deopenoffice.com es-openoffice.com
>> esopenoffice.com
>> fr-openoffice.com fropenoffice.com it-openoffice.com
>> itopenoffice.com
>> en-openoffice.org enopenoffice.org es-openoffice.org
>> esopenoffice.org
>> fr-openoffice.org it-openoffice.org itopenoffice.org
>> nl-openoffice.org
>> nlopenoffice.org

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                               -- Mark Twain

Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?