Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Adrian Conlon <Ad...@arup.com> on 2015/10/12 13:39:34 UTC

Active directory servers and failure cases

Hi List,

We've got a problem with Active Directory failure resiliency, and I wonder if anyone has any good ideas.

We've got a number of active directory servers available that are (as I understand it) mirrors of each other.  Every now and then these servers go wrong (or certainly stops responding).

At the moment, I've configured an Authority Group, with a single Authority Connection, that uses a single Domain Controller.

What I'd like to be able to do is associated multiple domain controllers with a single authority connection, such that the connection spreads the load across all of the available domain controllers and tries the next available controller if one stops responding.

Does that sound possible?  Indeed, is it a good idea?  Or have I missed something in the currently available ManifoldCF configuration that would allow this already?

Thanks,

Adrian

RE: Active directory servers and failure cases

Posted by Adrian Conlon <Ad...@arup.com>.
No problem Karl, I’m starting to suspect that this might be a configuration issue within the AD setup I’m having to use.

If I can find out who they are, I’ll ask the AD experts within my company for their opinion, then see where that leads.

If I find out anything useful, I’ll report it back into the list in case it’s of use.

Thanks for your help so far: that trick with the domain as a host was a good one to try.

Adrian

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Conlon <Ad...@arup.com>.
Hi Karl,

That’s interesting.

I just tried what you suggested and it seems that things are *almost*, but not quite set up to work in that way in the company I work for.

So, the domain is “global.arup.com” and when I ping “global.arup.com”, the IP address I get back is the same as one of the AD servers I spoke about in the initial email. That would imply that some kind of load balancing is taking place around the AD servers.

However, when I try to use “global.arup.com” as an AD server, I get the following connection status:

Threw exception: 'Authentication problem authenticating admin user 'stgserver': [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090303: LdapErr: DSID-0C0904BD, comment: The digest-uri does not match any LDAP SPN's registered for this server., data 0, v1db1&#0;]'

If I use the name of the server pointed to by “global.arup.com” (in this instance, “globalad5”), then the connection status becomes “connection working”.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,