Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jochen Kuhnle <jo...@kuhnle.net> on 2007/07/12 12:08:53 UTC

Antlr2/3 compatibility with maven-antlr3-plugin

Hi,

I tried out the antlr3 plugin and ran into a dependency problem:
antlr-3.0 depends on stringtemplate-3.0 which depends on antlr-2.7.x.
Since antlr-2 and -3 are fundamentally incompatible (API packages
renamed, grammar file format changed), this does not work.

I propose to change the artifactId of antlr-3.0 to antlr3-3.0, and to
change the default directories of the plugin to "src/main/antlr3" and
"target/generated-sources/antlr3". This allows using antlr-2.x and
antlr-3.0 and the respective plugins side by side.

Regards,
Jochen

Re: Antlr2/3 compatibility with maven-antlr3-plugin

Posted by Jochen Kuhnle <jo...@kuhnle.net>.
On 2007-07-12 15:47:31 +0200, David Holroyd <da...@badgers-in-foil.co.uk> said:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:08:53PM +0200, Jochen Kuhnle wrote:
>> I tried out the antlr3 plugin and ran into a dependency problem:
>> antlr-3.0 depends on stringtemplate-3.0 which depends on antlr-2.7.x.
>> Since antlr-2 and -3 are fundamentally incompatible (API packages
>> renamed, grammar file format changed), this does not work.
>
> However, the two ANTLRs have different groupIds, so there should be no
> problem due to these dependencies, I think?
>
>   antlr:antlr:2.7.x  vs.  org.antlr:antlr:3.0
>
> (Still pretty confusing though.)

You're right, of course. Please excuse me, I had a wrong stringtemplate
pom in my repo left over from playing around with antlr. I obviously
forgot to do my Repository-"Kehrwoche"
(http://www.training-for-germany.de/tips99/tipkw.htm), inexcusable for
somone from Stuttgart...

> What specific errors did you encounter?

A "think before you type error" on my side...

Posted by David Holroyd <da...@badgers-in-foil.co.uk>.
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 06:21:24AM +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> I also didn't think stringtemplate used antlr2 at runtime, I thought
> it was just at compile time?

The StringTemplate build needs the ANTLRv2 tool to compile its grammar
and the StringTemplate artifact needs the ANTLRv2 'runtime' to execute
the resulting parser.  In v2, tool and runtime are in the same artifact,
so the dependency is correct, I think.

ta,
dave

--
http://david.holroyd.me.uk/

Re: Antlr2/3 compatibility with maven-antlr3-plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I agree with David.

I also didn't think stringtemplate used antlr2 at runtime, I thought
it was just at compile time?

- Brett

Posted by David Holroyd <da...@badgers-in-foil.co.uk>.
Hi,