Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Timothée Maret <ti...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/29 00:28:37 UTC

[contrib] Contribution of CoreOS etcd based discovery mechanism

Hi,

As announced in [0] and suggested in SLING-2939 [1], I have developped an
alternative discovery implementation of the Sling Discovery API which
leverages CoreOS etcd.
The implementation is available at [2] and consists of four modules:

* client for the CoreOS etcd API version 2.0
* discovery module implementing the Sling Discovery APIs
* testing module containing a mock of an etcd service
* etcd commons module

The modules can be used as an alternative discovery mechanism in existing
and new Sling deployments without code change (it implements the same API
as the ootb Sling implementation).
The readme at [3] describes the requirements, features, internals and
configuration for enabling the etcd based discovery mechanism.

The modules are being tested internally at Adobe for DEV deployments yet we
have not cut a release for it.
Instead, we would like to contribute it to Apache Sling so that other folks
could look at it and get it released in Sling.

I have opened SLING-4842 to track this contribution should the Sling
community be interested in it.
I'll follow up with a voting thread regarding SLING-4842.

Regards,

Timothee

[0]
http://apache-sling.73963.n3.nabble.com/Sling-integration-with-Etcd-td4047017.html
[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2939?focusedCommentId=14303606&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14303606
[2] https://github.com/tmaret/org.apache.sling.etcd
[3]
https://github.com/tmaret/org.apache.sling.etcd/blob/master/discovery/README.md

Re: [contrib] Contribution of CoreOS etcd based discovery mechanism

Posted by Daniel Klco <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Sounds really interesting!

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.