Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> on 2001/12/18 04:06:31 UTC

SocketAppender

Hiya, I'm currently using the socket appender, and ChainSaw to remotely
watch the logs coming out of my webapp, however, I don't like having to
hardcode the machine the log gets sent to, or having two appenders if I
have multiple machines who want to watch the log.

Is there a 'broadcast' type appender?  That I can connect a ChainSaw type
program to say port xxx of the webserver?  This way, I can set up a
standard log4j entry, and if someone in the office is doing QA, they can
just connect to the webserver machine and see its logs...

--
Mark Derricutt                                E-Mail: markd@timedisciple.com
Senior Delphi Developer                                        ICQ: 19348533

            Limitations only serve to give direction to your goals
         Vi de udødelige inviterer dere til å slå dere sammen med oss

Re: SocketAppender

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <tr...@iprimus.com.au>.
Hrrmm, maybe a JXTA appender...

-- Glen

RE: SocketAppender

Posted by Oliver Burn <ol...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
I use the following technique to view logged messages from different
machines:

1. Configure the webapp's SocketAppender to send messages to
   'localhost';

2. Start up Chainsaw on my machine;

3. Use ssh to redirect the 4445 port on the webapp's machine to
   mine. This is done with the command:
	 ssh -R 4445:localhost:4445 -l <username> <servername>

4. Wait a little while until the SocketAppender attempts to reconnect
   to port 4445, and then the messages will start being delivered.

The only downside to this approach is that you cannot connect multiple
Chainsaw clients at the same time.

Regards,
Oliver