Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by "Christian M. Rieck" <ch...@comperiosearch.com> on 2013/04/17 15:41:34 UTC

How to fix: 'Driver class not found: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver'

Hi all,

I am having problems with ManifoldCF and the MS SQL connector. No matter what I do I get a "Threw exception: 'Driver class not found: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver'" as connection status. I have tried building manifold locally  and downloading the binary version but nothing seems to help.  I have also tried to place the jtds.jar file in connector-lib , connector-lib-proprietary, example\lib , using jtds-1.3 , jtds-1.2 and the jtds.jar that ant make-deps gets for me. Both java 1.6.0_45 and 1.7.0_17 have been tried. All attempts have been made with the example application. The problem is on both Windows8 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Starting manifold and specifying jtds in the classpath directly doesn't help.

The only time ManifoldCF acknowledged the existence of the Driver-class at all was when I used jtds-1.3.jar with java 1.6. Since jtds 1.3 requires java 7 I got an exception in the command window complaining about an unsupported class version:

WARN org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler - /mcf-crawler-ui/viewconnection.jsp
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/sourceforge/jtds/jdbc/Driver : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
        [....]
        at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.jdbc.JDBCConnection$TestConnectionThread.run(JDBCConnection.java:233)

The missing driver exception has not been seen in any logs so far.

While looking for the class I installed visualvm and tried to look around. After restarting manifoldcf a heapdump shows no signs of jtds.jdbc.Driver , after viewing the jdbc-connector and getting a "driver class not found" exception a new heapdump shows jtds.jdbc.Driver , 1 instance and size 16. That is the closest I got to the class.

I am now giving up and sorely need help.

Regards,
Christian.

Re: How to fix: 'Driver class not found: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver'

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Glad it worked out for you.
The reason we separate example and example-proprietary is that we cannot
include anything that is not licensed compatibly in the distributed build.
This is inconvenient for people but is unfortunately a legal necessity.

As for the alfresco download changes, I believe that's all been fixed up on
trunk.  But if you check out trunk you should be able to verify that.

Thanks,
Karl

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,