Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com> on 2003/05/09 20:31:01 UTC

how to tell FOP to stop accessing the network?

  ok, being a FOP beginner, i'm sure there's a reason that FOP
insists on accessing the network when it's processing a FO
file to PDF.

  can i tell it to stop?

rday

Re: how to tell FOP to stop accessing the network?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Error creating background image: Error creating FopImage object
 > (Error creating FopImage object
 >(http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png)

Ah, DocBook in action. I forgot FOP accepts http URLs
for images. I think you'll have to dive into the DocBook
customization layer to fix this.

J.Pietschmann

Re: how to tell FOP to stop accessing the network?

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Fri, 9 May 2003, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   ok, being a FOP beginner, i'm sure there's a reason that FOP
> > insists on accessing the network when it's processing a FO
> > file to PDF.
>
> FOP doesn't access the network by itself. I guess you use
> an XSL transformation and a source XML document which contains
> a doctype declaration pointing to a http URL. The parser
> will usually try to fetch the DTD from the URL.
> If so, either
> - Get rid of the DOCTYPE decl, for example by deleting it
> - Download the DTD to a more local place and change the
>    DOCTYPE to point to this location, preferably with a
>    file: URL.
> - Use a catalog mechanism. Check the docs for your XML
>    parser for details.

i did verify that it was FOP that was accessing the network.
i use xsltproc for the XML -> FO step, and that works fine.

i run into the problem when FOP starts to run *just* as the
network hangs -- i have a flaky setup with my wireless card,
and it just freezes every so often.

here's the first part of the output from FOP, if anyone
can suggest ways of reducing the number of errros/warnings:

rm -rf pidgin.xsl tmp.pdg gen.xml
rm -rf fo.xsl gen.fo gen.pdf
cat prolog.xml gen.pdg trailer.xml > tmp.pdg
genxsl > pidgin.xsl
# java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet tmp.pdg pidgin.xsl > gen.xml
xsltproc pidgin.xsl tmp.pdg > gen.xml
mkfoxsl fonts admon pagebreak titles verbatim
xsltproc --nonet fo.xsl gen.xml > gen.fo
# /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in gen.xml -xsl fo.xsl -out gen.fo
# /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet gen.xml fo.xsl > gen.fo
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -fo gen.fo gen.pdf

# at this point, FOP has clearly started.  if the network hangs any time
after this point, FOP just freezes.

[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5rc3
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.
[INFO] Failed to load JAI, using Jimi instead
Error creating background image: Error creating FopImage object (Error creating FopImage object (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : org.apache.fop.image.JimiImage
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.
Error creating background image: Error creating FopImage object (Error creating FopImage object (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : org.apache.fop.image.JimiImage
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.
Error creating background image: Error creating FopImage object (Error creating FopImage object (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : org.apache.fop.image.JimiImage
[ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not implemented yet.
[ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented yet.

... much snipped here...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.