Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com> on 2013/11/05 19:05:04 UTC

Bug? Should we allow detaching volumes when VMs have snapshots

We currently don’t allow volumes to be attached to VMs with snapshots and allowing volumes to be detached causes quite a bug:

1) Attach a data disk to a VM
2) Snapshot the VM
3) Detach the data disk
4) Attempt to restore the VM from the snapshot — FAILS since the data disk is no longer there, although it is expected to be
5) Attempt to re-attach the volume to the VM — FAILS since you cannot attach volumes to VMs with snapshots
6) Attempt to delete the VM snapshot — FAILS since the data disk is no longer there, although it is expected to be

I have verified the above steps on VMWare, however Xen does not appear to fail on step 4, presumably because VMWare handles snapshots quite differently than Xen.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on whether this is a bug or not? IMO, on VMWare, this set of steps can get users into a state where they can no longer attach new data disks to their VM, so it appears to be a bug of some kind.

-Chris
--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com

Re: Bug? Should we allow detaching volumes when VMs have snapshots

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi Chris,

I have not experimented with VM snapshots via CloudStack, but this sounds
really bad.

Perhaps the simplest fix is to not allow disks to be detached from VMs with
snapshots.

I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

Talk to you later

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Bug? Should we allow detaching volumes when VMs have snapshots

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 07.11.2013 21:17, Mike Tutkowski wrote:
> Especially since it appears to have been working for XenServer and I'd
> hate
> to take that functionality away from people who might be using it.

+100, removing functionality will not gain you any extra points;
especially doing it for what is probably the least deployed hypervisor
(quotation needed).

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Bug? Should we allow detaching volumes when VMs have snapshots

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM, SuichII, Christopher <Chris.Suich@netapp.com

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
Thanks for replying, Kelvin.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
Correct.

#6 FAILS with VMWare and SUCCEEDS with Xen

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
FWIW, after looking into this more with Xen, when the VM is restored in step 4, it simply no longer has the volume attached, so this appears to really be a VMWare issue. Any VMWare experts out there know how we can handle this?

-Chris