Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Souza <ds...@apple.com> on 2002/04/08 23:25:10 UTC

suExec newbie question

Sorry I am new to this list and this has probably been asked many
times before, but how do I get suExec installed/enabled for Apache
1.3??? I have installed modules for Apache before, but the
instructions for suExec are pretty confusing.

David Souza
dsouza@apple.com

Re: suExec newbie question

Posted by Admin <ko...@naisp.net>.
sorry...what I meant to say...was:

linux/unix OSs

Re: suExec newbie question

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <sa...@trabas.com>.
> >David Souza wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry I am new to this list and this has probably been asked many
> > > times before, but how do I get suExec installed/enabled for Apache
> > > 1.3??? I have installed modules for Apache before, but the
> > > instructions for suExec are pretty confusing.

Yes, they are. I somewhat think the instructions are designed to discourage
people not to do it unless they really know what they're doing. And also,
all the pain setting suexec is really worth the need for it. The problem
is that there's so many implications to let arbitrary visitors to execute
program at the server side as the owner of program. So, apache puts so many
restrictions to enable suexec. It also checks so many things at the time
suexec is performed.

The entry level to enable suexec is by supplying the configure script
--enable-suexec option, and accompanied by at least one of --suexec-*
options.  Pay close attention to --suexec-logfile. All real error regarding
suexec goes to this file. The ordinary error-log file only says 'the high
level' messages. Whenever you got internal server error or such, check the
suexec logfile.

I refer "docs" in the remain text to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html or the equivalent URL at your
local server. And I assume you understand how to configure apache.

If you find really confusing reading the docs, you might want to jump to
the section "Configuring & Installing suEXEC". Understand what each of the
--suexec-* options means. Look at the example and try them out. If you
succeed to configure and compile apache with suexec, don't just blindly put
it for production. Try it with some possibilities, check the suexec log.

If you don't understand what the log says in suexec log, go back to the
section "suExec Security Model" to find what it means. There are 20 check
points, and one of them could be the reason why suexec fails to execute
your CGI or SSI program. Of course, the problem with the program failure
might have nothing to do with suexec at all, so don't skip the usual error
log as well.

Good luck!

--
san->http(www.trabas.com)
{If Linux doesn't have solution, you have the wrong problem}

Re: suExec newbie question

Posted by Brian Keifer <li...@valinor.net>.

Re: suExec newbie question

Posted by Admin <ko...@naisp.net>.