Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/06/04 19:26:39 UTC

Fwd: Question on Apache and GPL compatibility

FYI. This is a significant development in licensing. For the first
time, an Apache license is compatible with a GPL license.

I don't have a "details url".

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Question on Apache and GPL compatibility

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Robert,

On Jun 5, 2007, at 12:46 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,

>> > it's been a long and hard road but it looks like we may have
>> made it
>> > to the end, in the end :-)
>> >
>> > thanks to everyone involved

>> > i'm not quite sure what you mean
>>
>> I mean that AFAIK there's no FAQ posted anywhere. I know there are
>> discussions going on on other email lists but no definitive FAQ has
>> been published.
>
> IMHO it's hard to be definitive right now for the following reasons:
>
> 1. GPL3 is still only a draft and is subject to change
>
> 2. the members are currently electing a new apache board
>
> 3. compatibility is mostly about the software libre movement's view of
> the AL2. what matters more than the legal arguments is that the FSF is
> clearly satisfied that AL2'd source can be included within a GPL3'd
> work. with this blessing, it's ethical to create such works.
>
> i hope to help create a set of use cases but it will take a little
> while since it needs to be done in conjunction with the FSF. probably
> best to make this ad hoc working group public.

Just to be clear: I'm not pushing for anything to happen. I'm just
trying to make sure that the group I'm watching out for know that
there is activity going on.

Regards,

Craig

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.