Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Russell Butek <bu...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/10/22 14:44:50 UTC

--package or not --package (was: Re: AXIS chat log for 9 October, 2001)

(Tom, sorry I missed your comments on this, I should have responded a week
ago.)

Ravi is right about the two issues.  While --package seems more usable than
--NStoPkg or a config file, --package is NOT correct.  If Wsdl2java
encounters multiple namespaces, it MUST map them to multiple package names.
We already have a sample - address book - that has 2 namespaces, one for
the WSDL stuff and one for the schema types.  And I also pointed out an
example from the WSDL spec that places the individual WSDL elements into
different packages.  Even the whitemesa interop tests have multiple
namespaces.

I don't understand the concern over a config file.  It would be OPTIONAL
and only used in complex environments, so only folks that are already
dealing with the nastiness of complexities would have to worry about it.  I
agree that we'd have to answer some questions - format (property file),
location, etc - but once those questions are answered it's not difficult.
I've written emitters that deal with property files, and Berin tells us
that Cocoon uses the command line/config file technique for arguments and
it's fairly standard.  Let me repeat the suggested solution.

1.  remove --package
2.  add some sort of command line argument for the namespace-to-package
mappings (--NStoPkg <ns0> <pkg0> -N <ns1> <pkg1> ... -N <nsN> <pkgN>)
3.  look for a mapping properties file
4.  2 takes precedence over 3

Do we need to vote on this?

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Ravi Kumar <rk...@borland.com> on 10/20/2001 01:16:50 PM

To:   axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: AXIS chat log for 9 October, 2001

There are two issues here: usability and correctness.
If two types with the same name are populated into two different
namespaces, we
just have to handle it. Similarly, when exporting a class with the same
name from
two pakages, they need to be distinguishable.

As regards to usability, I don't have a strong preference between
--p and --NStoPkg or just -NStoPkg.
I agree there is going to be tooling around these anyway .... hmm, may be
we
should throw in a minimal UI!

Rgds
Ravi

Re: --package or not --package (was: Re: AXIS chat log for 9 October, 2001)

Posted by Ravi Kumar <rk...@borland.com>.
+1

Ravi

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Here's my +1 for the suggested  solution.

Thanks,
dims

=====

http://personals.yahoo.com