Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/06/28 13:21:15 UTC

Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

The Burrokeet project (http://www.burrokeet.org) voted to donate their
Servlet controller code to the Apache Forrest project. This code
improves the way that the Forrest Eclipse Plugin starts and stops the
Jetty server. The Forrest code was already dependant on the Burrokeet
code, but Burrokeet only uses it in conjunction with Forrest. Therefore,
in order to remove the dependency of Forrest on Burrokeet the code has
been donated here.

I have relicensed the code (I was the previous Copyright holder) and
committed it to
tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine

This resolves issue FOR-503

Ross

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Thanks David.
>
> This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not
> be able to distribute from the Forrest site.
>
> Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come
> from another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of
> this would be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license
> terms on installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and
> Sun licenses in there.
>
> Is this one for the legal list?
>
> Ross

What if you created a seperate plugin package containing the Sun jars
and have it stored on a different site ? The Forrest Eclipse Plugin
would then need this other plugin package to work and pull it from
another location.

Anil.

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be
>>able to distribute from the Forrest site.
>

> Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.
>
> Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

You know, that is a very good question. When I went through the jars the
other day to see which were required now that I have stripped the
JettyPlus stuff, I never actually tried that one. No idea why not.

Anil, could you try removing this from your local copy and see if it
still works.

> Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
> that are then available to plugins.
>
> How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

You can have dependencies between plugins. It is possible, as Anil
suggested, to create plugin that contains only the non-license
compatible jars. This will then be downloaded from another location.

I'm not sure if this dependency can be automatically resolved or not.
I'll investigate next week (unless Anil finds we don't actually need the
jar - then I will be red faced ;-).

>>Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come from
>>another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of this would
>>be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license terms on
>>installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and Sun
>>licenses in there.
>

> If any site can re-distribute it then Maven would be already.
> I mean, is it only the need for a license click-through that
> prevents it?

I'll have to read the license in detail.

>>Is this one for the legal list?
>

> Perhaps. I presume that other ASF projects already have stumbled
> on this, so i would be surprised if it wasn't raised already.
> Still, perhaps it is worth trying again if we cannot find another
> solution.

I read on eWeek the other day that Sun and IBM have come to an agreement
that allows IBM to distribute Java, perhaps that will help in the medium
to long term.

Another alternative is to try and encourage the Harmony folk to work on
activation.jar first.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be
> able to distribute from the Forrest site.

Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.

Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
that are then available to plugins.

How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

> Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come from
> another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of this would
> be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license terms on
> installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and Sun
> licenses in there.

If any site can re-distribute it then Maven would be already.
I mean, is it only the need for a license click-through that
prevents it?

> Is this one for the legal list?

Perhaps. I presume that other ASF projects already have stumbled
on this, so i would be surprised if it wasn't raised already.
Still, perhaps it is worth trying again if we cannot find another
solution.

-David

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>So i am going to remove activation.jar now and create an FAQ.
>>
>>Okay that is done. Anil would you please check my instructions.
>>I did not follow them.
>>
>>The document is started at:
>>site-author/content/xdocs/tools/eclipse.xml
>

> I presume that this will suffice for developers.
> We are not yet ready for users anyway.
>
> If so, then please verify my instructions.

I've not checked your doc yet (getting my mail done before leaving the
office again), Anil can you check this for us.

With respect to users, there have been quite a few users asking about
starting and stopping Forrest from Eclipse on the user list. This cannot
be done safely without the plugin. So there are Users ready to use this,
and it does work enough for that, I use it all the time).

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >However, activation.jar is a worry.
> >http://maven.apache.org/reference/standard-sun-jar-names.html
> >We need to tell people to download that separately.
> >Sounds like the beginning of the user documentation for our
> >Eclipse plugin.
>
> I wondered about this jar, so I did a search and found it in an ASF
> repo, somewhere in Jakarta. I have to admit I had just assumed that they
> had verified the license.
>
> The above link does seem to indicate it cannot be included. I'm busy now
> till next week, I will look into this further next week.

I did a lot of Google searching and found many ASF projects advising
to downlaod it separately.

We need to remove that ASAP, cannot leave it until next week.

We have the same situation for jimi.jar
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/faq.html#pdf_images

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>Sorry, Lazy, I will sort that out today.
>>
>>Done.
>

> Thanks, that is quite an effort i know.
>

>>A couple of jars are still without version numbers as I can't find what
>>version they are.
>

> Which makes it obvious why we need such metadata about the jars.
> Oh well, next time we update them, we can assign better filenames.
>
> Another topic for later:
> Should we be keeping better track of our supporting jars
> like Cocoon does: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/jars.html
> The page is generated from xml and the build system, verifies that
> each jar has an entry in the table.

+1

> Another aspect to this licensing job is to review each license
> to see if there are any other conditions that they specify, such
> as asking for attribution in the NOTICE.txt at our top-level.
> All seems okay.

Thank you for checking

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >>
> >>* jars without accompanying licenses.
> >>* jar filenames not following our naming convention.
> >
> >Sorry, Lazy, I will sort that out today.
>
> Done.

Thanks, that is quite an effort i know.

> A couple of jars are still without version numbers as I can't find what
> version they are.

Which makes it obvious why we need such metadata about the jars.
Oh well, next time we update them, we can assign better filenames.

Another topic for later:
Should we be keeping better track of our supporting jars
like Cocoon does: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/jars.html
The page is generated from xml and the build system, verifies that
each jar has an entry in the table.

Another aspect to this licensing job is to review each license
to see if there are any other conditions that they specify, such
as asking for attribution in the NOTICE.txt at our top-level.
All seems okay.

However, activation.jar is a worry.
http://maven.apache.org/reference/standard-sun-jar-names.html
We need to tell people to download that separately.
Sounds like the beginning of the user documentation for our
Eclipse plugin.

Anil and others ...

One feature of the Apache Software Foundation is that we
don't add any supporting libraries that impose conditions
that are any more restrictive than the Apache License 2.

> Also, I need some advice on the license for xmlParsersAPIs-2.5.jar,
> there are three licenses inside the jar:
>
> dom-documentation
> dom-software
> sax
>
> Right now I have have each of them in the lib directory, and have added
> an XMLParserAPIs- prefix. This means there are three licenses for one
> jar. Is that OK?

Sounds fine. The main thing is that we make our best effort to
inform users about each jar and its license.

> >>* bloated distribution.
> >>
> >>This commit r202158 added a huge quantity of data.
> >>Our svn checkout was 132816 kb before and 144516 kb after
> >>(an increase of 9%). We already have problems with the size
> >>of the distribution due to all the Cocoon stuff.
> >
> >There is no need for this tool to be included in the distribution. How
> >about we move the eclipse support stuff into a separate SVN tree?
> >
> >Although, most of that bloat is from duplicated jars so the above issue
> >may solve this.

Lets talk about this in a separate thread. Not neccessarily right now,
but sometime we need to revisit the discussion about Tools/Sub-projects
and how to manage them.

-David

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> I have relicensed the code (I was the previous Copyright holder) and
>>> committed it to
>>> tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine
>>>
>>> This resolves issue FOR-503

>> I see a number of issues:
>> * duplicate jars, we already have some of them in forrest core.
>
> Yes, I'm not quite sure how to best resolve this. The plugin is useful
> as a standalone plugin, so should really be self-contained. I'll raise
> an issue.

I've created an issue and made the versions of the jars in the plugin
the same as those in Forrest. Will look into reusing existing jars when
I can.

>> * jars without accompanying licenses.
>> * jar filenames not following our naming convention.
>
> Sorry, Lazy, I will sort that out today.

Done.

A couple of jars are still without version numbers as I can't find what
version they are.

Also, I need some advice on the license for xmlParsersAPIs-2.5.jar,
there are three licenses inside the jar:

dom-documentation
dom-software
sax

Right now I have have each of them in the lib directory, and have added
an XMLParserAPIs- prefix. This means there are three licenses for one
jar. Is that OK?

>> * compiled classes were committed together with a "build" directory
>> at plugins/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine/build/org/burrokeet/
>
> Doh! Will sort.

Done.

>> * bad URL for License in
>> features/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.feature/feature.xml
>

> Oh, I missed that, sorry.

Fixed.

>> * Two references to org.burrokeet (in feature.xml and
>> NewProjectWizard.java).
>

> That is because I had not moved the code over to ASF when Anil built the
> feature. Anil, can you patch this please.

Oh, Anil already did this - patch now applied.

>> * bloated distribution.
>>
>> This commit r202158 added a huge quantity of data.
>> Our svn checkout was 132816 kb before and 144516 kb after
>> (an increase of 9%). We already have problems with the size
>> of the distribution due to all the Cocoon stuff.
>

> There is no need for this tool to be included in the distribution. How
> about we move the eclipse support stuff into a separate SVN tree?
>
> Although, most of that bloat is from duplicated jars so the above issue
> may solve this.

I've removed all the Jetty-plus jars, they are not needed by Forrest,
only by Burrokeet. The Burrokeet project can extend this plugin for the
Jetty-Plus stuff.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.