Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net> on 2002/08/02 06:58:17 UTC

Re: two versions installed (newbie question)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:35:55 -0400, Don Montalvo wrote:

<snip>

>I tried it and got the same error:
<snip>

>I think the problem was that I used RPM to download and install the
>update and it didn't work correctly, leaving me with two versions. I
>hate RPM...so inconsistent. I'll stick to apt-get since everyone says
>it's the best way to manage things.
>
>Are there any other steps I should take? If I have to I'll
>wipe/reinstall YellowDog and this time I'll make sure to stay away
>from RPM...but I'd rather not have to go through the trouble.

Does RPM have a remove function?  Check your docs.  If so, try that.  If
that works, the you can try the apt thing again.  If RPM fails you,
there should be a way to list (from some RPM function) every file that
the RPM install/update put on your machine.  The Debian function is
"dpkg -L apache"  About 40-45 files.  Delete  'em, throw RPM away, and
do "apt-get update" and "apt-get install apache"  I'm assuming these are
standard .deb packages.

If you do decide to wipe and re-install the OS, save your config files,
and go with Debian.
--
gt          kk5st@swbell.net
Everything here could be wrong--Messiah's Handbook--Bach