Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> on 2012/09/28 01:59:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images

I want to finish addressing the Project Branding Requirements at <http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html>.

One of the outstanding issues is stamping our graphics with "TM".  From <http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#graphics>:

	Logos are important to recognize as trademarks as well.
	For the project's official logo (if it has one, and
	especially if it uses the ASF feather), ensure that it
	includes a small "TM" symbol in the graphic or
	immediately adjacent to it. For pages that include the
	poject logo on them, ensure you mention "... and the
	Project logo are trademarks..." in the attribution.

There is no room for interpretation here: the requirements say that it must be done.

However, when this was last discussed, in November 2010, several PMC members said they didn't want to do it, AFAICT largely because it would make the logos look ugly:

	http://markmail.org/message/i4mnm3nx6bbq3dgu>

I propose that we take a VOTE, saying that we elect to ignore this aspect of the branding requirements, so that we can close out the effort to comply with the other aspects.

Here's the wording I'm thinking of:

------
Please VOTE to NOT comply with the requirement in the Apache Project Branding Requirements <http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#graphics> that "TM" be included in or be presented adjacent to all project graphic images on Lucene PMC websites.

[] +1 The Lucene PMC will not put TM in or adjacent to the project graphics on our website
[] -1 The Lucene PMC will comply with the graphics TM requirement in the Apache Project Branding Requirements
------

Thoughts?

I plan on voting +1 if this goes to a VOTE.

Steve

Re: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 09/28/2012 12:57 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> but rather to go on record for the board about our explicit decision not to follow this aspect of the ASF branding requirements.
My feeling is that I would not worry about that at all until the board
was reaching out to us. With the number of projects doing what we are
doing, I can't see the urgency in making any move unprompted. No need to
comfort the baby that is not crying :)

To each his own though - if you think it's important, go for it.

- Mark

RE: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Mark,

There are two boats here: the ASF and Lucene/Solr.  Not rocking one will rock the other.

My point in bringing up the possibility of a vote was not to establish consensus (which I think we have already reached: as you say, no need to rock the boat), but rather to go on record for the board about our explicit decision not to follow this aspect of the ASF branding requirements.

Steve

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: 	Logos are important to recognize as trademarks as well.
: 	For the project's official logo (if it has one, and
: 	especially if it uses the ASF feather), ensure that it
: 	includes a small "TM" symbol in the graphic or
: 	immediately adjacent to it. For pages that include the
: 	poject logo on them, ensure you mention "... and the
: 	Project logo are trademarks..." in the attribution.

For me, the crux of the question/confusion is about the fact that
according to these guidelines, all official logo's "especially if it uses
the ASF feature" must include a small "TM" symbol....

Except that I can find no evidence anywhere on that this specific
"requirement" has been adopted for the ASF feather itself...

	https://www.apache.org/
	https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
	http://www.apachecon.eu/

I can't find a single ASF page in which the ASF Logo includes an ugly "TM"
-- instead, trademark notice related to the ASF logo seems to be dealt
with on all apache.org pages (that i can find) in the same way that many
companies seem to deal with this sort of thing w/o making their logo ugly:
put a notice at the bottom...

"Apache and the Apache feather logo are trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation."

I see nothing wrong with putting "Apache Lucene and the Lucene logo are
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation." at the bottom of our pages.
Likewise for Solr.  I don't udnerstand why the requirements say that
project Logo's need "TM" in them when foundation logo doesn't.

: I propose that we take a VOTE, saying that we elect to ignore this
: aspect of the branding requirements, so that we can close out the effort
: to comply with the other aspects.
:
: Here's the wording I'm thinking of:

I'm fine with holding a VOTE, but perhaps a better first step is to simply
ask the branding team: "WTF is up with this requirement? We think it
looks ugly, It doesn't seem to be legally require since many trademarked
logos aren't displayed this way on their comany websites, and if it is
required then why isn't the ASF Logo displayed this way?"

-Hoss

Re: [DISCUSS] TM in website graphic images