Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Jon Sime <js...@omniti.com> on 2015/02/02 21:45:17 UTC

Documentation restructuring

I've been putting together a restructuring proposal for the current guides
as part of the overall documentation cleanup/standardization effort. A
working doc (with commenting enabled - please take full advantage) is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlf_N03wGeDeC3Hg9d0Xsl00JY2mIQ5IX5oe65FeWx0/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback, corrections, criticism, and comments would all be most welcome.
For comparison's sake, the doc includes the current section headings from
the existing documentation before listing the proposed new layout. The
largest points:

- Number of guides reduced to 2 (and a half): an Administrator's Guide for
system admins, users, and others deploying (ATS in their infrastructure (or
considering doing so), and a Developer's Guide for those working on the ATS
code itself or writing plugins for it. Plus the short Getting Started
half-guide for people new to ATS just looking to get it up and running in
30 minutes to test things out in a basic configuration.

- Existing Programmer's Guide, Arch & Hacking, and API Reference all get
combined into the Developer's Guide.

- Existing Administrator's Guide acquires the bulk of the Reference Guide
(the Configuration File Reference, Command Reference, and Plugin Reference
sections).

- Sections, particularly in the Admin Guide, are reordered to be more
topically-aligned with each other, and to reduce the instances where
related information is found in more than one non-adjacent section.

Re: Documentation restructuring

Posted by Jon Sime <js...@omniti.com>.
Certainly a fair point. I've been looking at the Administrator's vs.
Developer's guides as largely distinct entities (given that the audiences
for each are pretty different). However, the Appendices was something that
only felt slightly more at home in the admin guide, but not exactly a
perfect fit.

There's no reason the Appendices could not be included in both guides. Same
content, same RST source files, just listed in both guides' TOCs.

Or maybe it makes more sense to have an all-inclusive 3-part "Apache
Traffic Server Manual" that has each guide as one part, with a single
Appendices section at the end; as opposed to a set of documentation
consisting of three separately-treated guides. Doing that wouldn't really
be much of a change to the proposed structure of each guide, it would be
more a matter of how the three parts are packaged/presented together, I
think, and would make it cleaner to have a common Appendices section tucked
in at the end, and still structurally related to both guides.