Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jeff Varszegi <jv...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/17 11:31:42 UTC

[collections] Trying to test the linked list, a question

All right, I have JUnit 3.8 installed.  I read all the documentation on it and compiled and ran
some simple tests, but I'm having a minor problem.

I made a class named TestNodeCachingLinkedList that extends TestList (I attached it).  It fails
twice with the same error, and I can't tell why it's happening.  I know you're busy, but if you
could look at it I'd be much obliged.  I don't know enough to tell if it's a fault in the test
script or not...

Here's the output of the script:

................F........................F.
Time: 0.3
There were 2 failures:
1) testListRemoveByIndex(TestNodeCachingLinkedList.testListRemoveByIndex)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: remove should return correct element expected:<null> but
was:<>
	at org.apache.commons.collections.TestList.testListRemoveByIndex(TestList.java:699)
	at
org.apache.commons.collections.TestNodeCachingLinkedList.main(TestNodeCachingLinkedList.java:32)
2) testListRemoveByIndex(TestNodeCachingLinkedList.bulkTestSubList.testListRemoveByIndex)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: remove should return correct element expected:<null> but
was:<Three>
	at org.apache.commons.collections.TestList.testListRemoveByIndex(TestList.java:699)
	at
org.apache.commons.collections.TestNodeCachingLinkedList.main(TestNodeCachingLinkedList.java:32)

FAILURES!!!
Tests run: 100,  Failures: 2,  Errors: 0

I looked all through the script of my class and I can't find anywhere it can construct a blank
string.  I also couldn't find anything wrong in general; I checked over the logic pretty well, but
I guess it's always possible to miss something.  Can anyone help me?

Jeff

P.S.  I also attached the NodeCachingLinkedList class, latest version.  It throws
NoSuchElementException everywhere that it should. JKV

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Re: [collections] Trying to test the linked list, a question

Posted by Jeff Varszegi <jv...@yahoo.com>.
I was just wondering if you happened to look at the speed improvements I suggested for
FastArrayList.  I know you're busy, just wondering.  If it's not seen as important I won't
continue on with my plan of performance-tuning some of the other classes in Collections.  (That's
not a huffy statement, but sincere-- I don't want to waste everyone's time, and I'd rather help
out in a valuable way.)  I just like to tinker with things to make them fast, and I thought maybe
I could have a good impact on a few projects at once by speeding up some of the Collections
classes that are reused.

Jeff

Re: [collections] Trying to test the linked list, a question

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
From: "Jeff Varszegi" <jv...@yahoo.com>
> I looked all through the script of my class and I can't find anywhere it
can construct a blank
> string.  I also couldn't find anything wrong in general; I checked over
the logic pretty well, but
> I guess it's always possible to miss something.  Can anyone help me?

TestCollection.getFullNonNullElements() contains the values that are
failing. At some point they get added to a reference collection (ArrayList)
and your collection (NodeCachingLinkedList) - testList.makeFullList().

This uses addAll() to add and the testRemoveByIndex uses an iterator(). One
of those two must be failing. All I can suggest is following the path of the
data from the getFullNonNullElements() to the failure.

Stephen

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>