Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2004/05/20 20:05:15 UTC

how-to-mirror updates (was Re: Mirror Notification -- DePaul University)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Mij wrote:

> > But I'll note again that we much prefer
> > http mirrors.  I won't even add the logo to our database, since ftp
> > mirrors are never selected as "preferred" mirrors, and hence never get
> > their logo displayed.
>
> it might be useful to make this explicit on the how-to-mirror.html page,
> either as "requirement" or in the introduction paragraph.
>
> there is already "we strongly recommend that you run the Apache HTTP
> Server version ..."
> but it can be read "we strongly recommend http mirror, based on apache"
> as well as
> "if you provide http mirroring we recommend apache".

Ok.  I've made a few updates to this page:
http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

Including:
- Current apache-dist size up to 5GB.
- Recommend 2-4 updates per day.  It seems our developers are too
impatient to wait 24 hours for stuff to get out to the mirrors.
- Remove the recommendation to sync between 8am and noon GMT, since apache
bandwidth usage is really pretty constant through the day.  See:
http://www.unitedlayer.com/customerbw/apache
- Clarify that http mirrors are preferred.
- Clarify that you must host your own logo.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joshua.