Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com> on 2006/08/07 01:42:59 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] two simple questions

On Sunday 06 August 2006 21:33, Ikke Snoeckx wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have two (simple) questions:
>
> 1. A RewriteRule:
> Basically, consider this: www.example.com/foo.bar ... Now, I want that
> to be also accessible by this: www.example.com/foo (so, actually, it is
> just the file name, but without the .bar extension) ...
>
> 2. Access and authorisation:
> I have two folders (lets call them 'foo' and 'bar') were I put some
> things in that should not be downloaded or viewed, however must be
> included in my website.
> Basically, the only way to get access to the content being in those two
> folder is through the normal Apache GET process, and with the right
> referer (e.g. www.example.com, and *no* other, even an empty referer
> won't give you access)...
> I said _basically_, because I know that there are tools to fake headers
> and such, but this is only to keep the majority of the visitors out of it.
> Additionally: I have my Javascript and some CSS Files (.js and .css) in
> it also, however those may be downloaded and viewed (*unless* the
> referer is *not* www.example.com *or empty*) at will...
> Additionally: How can I setup Password Authorisation for the foo and bar
> folders (so no simple 403 error but 401)?
>
> Thanks
> Sebastiaan Snoeckx

1:
under Linux, you can ln -l foo foo.bar and both will stay up-to date (you can
edit foo and the foo.bar file will be changed, and when foo is requested, the
httpd  will see that its a link and serve the foo.bar file.
2:
to requre authentication of a directory, you can use a .htaccess file in the
directory. there is more documentation on that in the apache docs.

Welcome,
Morgan Gangwere
--
I reverently believe that the maker who made us all  makes everything in New
England, but the weather.  I don't know who makes that, but I think it must be