Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jake <mw...@jakes.msfc.nasa.gov> on 1998/02/12 22:49:38 UTC

os-windows/1796: MSIE returns an error: The requested header was not found

>Number:         1796
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       MSIE returns an error: The requested header was not found
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When requesting a web page that has been moved, IE get a popup window that states:
"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/pb.html
The requested header was not found"

In the srm.conf file I have the Directive:
Redirect /pb.html /errors/redirect.html
and
ErrorDocument 302 /errors/redirect.html

If I comment out the line "ErrorDocument 302 /errors/redirect.html", the
Redirect works.

Can I not have both directives?

Netscape works just fine, but MSIE3.x and up returns the error message.

I reported this to Microsoft and they stated the following:

Based on the network trace, it appears that your server is failing to send
the location header indicating to the browser where it should redirect to.
Internet Explorer is behaving as designed. Since you are not using a
Microsoft server I have reached the end of my support boundaries on this
issue.

Is this a "Usual and customary" response from MS or is there a problem with the
server?  If the later, then why does Netscape work.
>How-To-Repeat:
www1.msfc.nasa.gov/pb.html

>Fix:
None.