Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Matthew Rushton <mr...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/05 15:23:44 UTC

ruby bindings

Hi,
  Is there any good documentation on how best to use the ruby client bindings. I'm interfacing to an Erlang server and had a few minor issues before getting things to work. The few examples I saw, including Benchmark that is part of thrift, use FramedTransport. However this didn't work with the Erlang server because it prepends a length to the payload. I changed the transport to BufferedTransport and things work ok as shown below:

socket = Thrift::Socket.new("localhost", 9090)
transport = Thrift::BufferedTransport.new(socket)
protocol = Thrift::BinaryProtocol.new(transport)
client = MyApp:Client.new(protocol)
transport.open()
sum = client.add(1,2)
transport.close()

Why so many transport types? Am I using the correct one here? Thanks!
-Matt