Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com> on 2005/07/21 21:19:33 UTC

A better upgrade guide...

I built a new server (FreeBSD-5.x) to which I want to migrate my
original SpamAssassin tokens, et al.

I found several gotchyas that don't appear to be properly addressed in
the Wiki (or elsewhere that I could locate).

The older server is running SA-3, though the error I get complains about
database version 2 - which I'm puzzled about, since presumably the
upgraded version was running a current DB (but it is an old machine, so
God knows what's in there!).

After running into this, using sa-learn -D --sync and then other smaller
issues, it occured to me to ask here first before I pull out more hair.

I am content at wiping out the installation and starting over.
However, the primary goal is to import the old tokens from my other
server - I also have kept copies of spam that have made it through, that
could be used with sa-learn, after the X-Spam-* headers are stripped out.

Thanks.

Re: A better upgrade guide...

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Forrest Aldrich wrote on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:19:33 -0400:
>

>>The older server is running SA-3, though the error I get complains about
>>database version 2
>

> The Bayes database version has no connection to the SA version. You missed
> to tell the exact error/problem ;-)
>
> Kai

Well, it does, but it's not a direct one-to-one number matching.

That said, bayes DB v2 is used by SA 2.6x, and bayes DB v3 is the SHA hash based
format used by SA 3.x.

SA 2.5x used a bayes DB without a version field, so one could say it's version 0.

Therefore, Forrest does have a bayes DB which did not get upgraded, problem
exists as stated.

Re: A better upgrade guide...

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

--