Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by happentrack <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/17 01:23:29 UTC

Re: Is there any intention of fixing this 'Ref Cursor' issue: IBatis-350

No I meant the choice of using ref cursors all over the place was out of my
hand.

I will submit a possible fix but I may need guidance since I am bit
unfamiliar with this code base.

Thanks for your response.

Posted by Ellis Miller <ou...@gmail.com>.
Instead of using ref cursors as OUT parameter of an Oracle stored procedure
just curious if you tested using a Function returning a ref cursor and then
called the Function from another procedure and got the same result.

In this particular case doesn't alleviate the issue with the ref cursors in
the existing PL/SQL code base as Procedures cannot/should not be converted
to Functions for this reason, only, yet for anyone/everyone else still would
be curious: does a Function opening and returning a Ref Cursor generate the
same error if the Function is called from another Procedure.

Regardless, what you are describing: declare ref cursor and reference in
procedure_1 as OUT parameter then procedure_2 calls procedure_1 which
actually opens and returns the ref cursor as an OUT parameter.

Seems very odd as whether calling the procedure from another PL/SQL
procedure or from Java: ref cursor should remain open until it is explicitly
closed by the calling stored procedure/anonymous block/Java. In fact, I have
seen more issues with Java code where the programmer forgot to close the
cursor generating the opposite error.

Wish I could help but my primary experience is PL/SQL and Java but not
familiar with the Ibatis code base, whatsoever. Still, not a good solution,
but would be interesting in knowing whether the use of a Function returning
a ref cursor produces the same error.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
You have a better chance than someone who doesn't even use Oracle.  :-)