Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ag...@globo.com on 2005/02/04 20:15:41 UTC

[i18n] status

Daniel and Oliver, please, this project will continue?
I sent a class diagram with changes (proposal changes) but I no receive
any response from both.
I know you are working on other projects (transaction, slide, etc ) but,
please, aswer me. I really wanna participate ...

Thanx again

Woody

AW: [i18n] proposals

Posted by Daniel Florey <da...@web.de>.
Hi Woody,
you pass over your code to me directly using my apache email address.
See comments inline...

Cheers,
Daniel

The locale is not specified in the constructor. It is specified when you
retrieve a particular entry:
LocalizedText txt1 = new LocalizedText( consts.ID1 );
String translatedText = txt1.getText(Locale.DE);
The default locale should only be used when no user locale can be detected.
It might be a good idea to remove the methods dealing with the default
locale in order to avoid confusion.

> I think in write:
>
> String  servletID    = getServletUUID();
>
> ConfigManager config = new ConfigManager.getInstance( servletID );
> config.setLocale( getUserLocale( userId ) );
> // Only one place set the user locale
>
> LocalizedText txt1 = new LocalizedText( consts.ID1 );
> LocalizedText txt2 = new LocalizedText( consts.ID2 );
> LocalizedText txtN = new LocalizedText( consts.IDN );
>
> I agree with your idea, keep it simple here is the best thing to do, but
> how
> to setup aditional information without a mediator to store?
> The code in first example can be a problem, he multiply locale information
> (configuration) in many places where I have a message ...
>
> In my code I write:
>
> - In LocalizedText, LocalizedMessage, LocalizedError, LocalizedException I
> change the extensions. Instead of cascating extensios I do direct
> extensions
> (LocalizedText extends LocalizedBundle, LocalizedMessage extends
> LocalizedBundle, LocalizedError extends LocalizedBundle ...)

Why? Each extension adds some additional fields / methods.

> - new class: LocalizedRuntimeException (like your LocalizedException);

Good idea.

> * new class: ConfigManager (LocalizedBundle delegate to this class);
> - service locator;
> - code to config excetions and defaults ( useMessageIdAsDeafult(),
> useEntryIdAsDefault(), if both was false, then, we throw exceptions)
> - code to config log levels (setLevelLog2Info, setLevelLog2Warning and
> setLevelLog2Error);
> - code to setLocale (used by all messages in a given instance);
> - this class delegate calls to MessageManager;

Let me have a look at your code. Then it may become more clear ;-)

Re: [i18n] proposals

Posted by "Anaximandro (Woody)" <ag...@globo.com>.
Hi Daniel,

The ConfigManager in my idea is used for store specific configurations, as I
see the MessageManager don't have this responsabilitie. If I store any
configuration on MessageManager I will need specific instances of this guy
for each thread with a diferent configuration.

Well, in your code you don't let the user of this component to configure the
behaviours of log, exceptions and default language. I do some code to do
this in mine and,  becouse this, I need to store these configurations on a
"isolated" place. Store these guys inside MessageManager is not a good idea.

The MessageManager only store the message providers and delegate calls to
these providers.

The main objective behind this is to write less code in cases wich I need to

AW: [i18n] status

Posted by Daniel Florey <da...@web.de>.
Hi Woody,

Re: [i18n] status