Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "GARG, Vikrant, GBM" <Vi...@rbs.com> on 2008/04/09 16:35:48 UTC

Control M char in java path when starting tomcat

Hi,

I am trying to set up tomcat 5.5.25 on a Solaris 10 machine.

However, when I run the "startup.sh" script from the apache-tomcat-5.5.25/bin location, and check catalina.out file under /logs folder, I see the following error message:

Error: no `server^M' JVM at `/opt/<<snipped>>/java/jdk1.5.0_06/lib/spa
rc/server^M/libjvm.so'.

I have checked that the file libjvm.so is available under the path indicated.
The variable $JAVA_HOME points to /opt/<<snipped>>/java/jdk1.5.0_06

I have checked through the various tomcat script and xml files, and I cant find a reason for the ^M char to get included in the java path.

Have been struggling with this since yesterday - any pointers on this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Vikrant

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.

systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The
Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry
Visit our websites at:
www.rbs.com
www.rbs.com/gbm
www.rbsgc.com

RE: Control M char in java path when starting tomcat

Posted by Nuno Manuel Martins <nu...@sonae.com>.
Hi,

If you have the tool installed you can just run "unix2dos <filename>" and it will strip the offending chars.

Posted by Nuno Manuel Martins <nu...@sonae.com>.
Ooops, my bad, obviously meant dos2unix

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Vikrant,

Posted by "GARG, Vikrant, GBM" <Vi...@rbs.com>.
Actually I did not do any edits anywhere.
I downloaded the tar.gz for solaris from apache website to my windows pc, then "psftp"-ed it to the solaris box, gunzipped and untarred it, and then tried to start the tomcat.

Vikrant Garg
RBS Global Banking & Markets

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.