Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/09/06 21:32:31 UTC

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC - listVmwareDcs API

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 06:30:52PM +0000, Jessica Wang wrote:
> > This API is called by UI to implement toggle effect for icon "Add/Remove VMware Datacenter".
>
> [Jesisca] No, listVmwareDcs API was called by UI to get VMware DataCenter info to display in zone detail page (which has 3 fields: "VMware dataCenter Name", "VMware dataCenter vcenter", "VMware dataCenter Id"), NOT to toggle effect for icon "Add/Remove VMware Datacenter".
>

> > [Chip] Shouldn't we consider making the UI respond appropriately to a missing API
> > (i.e.: don't show that feature if the API response to that call is an error saying that the API call doesn't exist)?
>
> [Jessica] There is no way for UI to know whether an API command is missing or not before calling it.
> After calling an API command, if API returns error "Unknown API command", UI will suppress the error message (i.e. UI will not pop up a dialog showing "Unknown API command").
> The error "Unknown API command" was seen in the log, NOT on UI.
> However, I just checked in an UI enhancement to skip calling listVmwareDcs API if a zone doesn't have any VMware cluster(s).

Sounds like a good workaround.

Perhaps a future enhancement would be to use the discovery service to
figure out what API's are being exposed by the specific management
server, and adjust the UI accordingly.

-chip

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC - listVmwareDcs API - Here's the discovery API

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

I just tested listApis and it worked!  ^_^

Yes, this is enough and I'll change UI to use listApis to determine whether to call listVmwareDcs API in zone detail page.

Thanks!

Jessica

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

The downside of using listApis to detect whether an API command is being exposed is that an error will appear in the log (not on UI)

/client/api?command=listApis&name=listVmwareDcs

{
    "listapisresponse": {
        "uuidList": [],
        "errorcode": 530,
        "cserrorcode": 9999,
        "errortext": "Api Discovery plugin was unable to find an api by that name or process any apis"
    }
}

Jessica

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.