Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2020/09/09 16:03:26 UTC

Announcing Opservatory: 24/7 CouchDB Observation and Analysis

Dear CouchDB Community,

I’m happy to announce Opservatory https://opservatory.app, my company
Neighbourhoodie’s latest product for monitoring your CouchDB instances.

Opservatory knows CouchDB better than any single human could. We’ve put
our combined multi-decade experience with supporting CouchDB
installations of all shapes into one tool that makes sure you are not
running into any trouble, ever.

It continuously monitors your CouchDB installations and runs a number
of checks to ensure your CouchDBs are running correctly, fast and
securely. It also checks for conditions and configurations that have
the potential to cause production issues in the future.

It compares metrics against settings to make real-time recommendations
for improving your CouchDB instance or cluster. It evaluates
configuration, metrics, and database information to ensure smooth
operation. It even evaluates your JavaScript code in design documents
for common mistakes and performance pitfalls.

Here are just a few examples of the checks that Opservatory runs periodically:

  - If you are just starting out with CouchDB, Opservatory checks if
you’ve got any quirks in your setup and configuration and gives you
recommendations for well-established best practices for running CouchDB
correctly, fast and securely.

  - If your production cluster ran into trouble and you don’t know
where to start looking for things to fix, Opservatory will give you the
top list of issues that you can resolve to make your problem(s) go away.

  - If your intern uploaded a design doc with an inefficient map
function (again), Opservatory will let you know, but it also catches
more common patterns used by seasoned CouchDB developers that can be
improved.

  - If you create a new database and forget to set the correct
_security object, Opservatory will warn you about publicly accessible
data that you might want to make private as soon as you get the
notification.

Opservatory has over 80 checks that cover the five main areas of every
CouchDB installation: setup, configuration, metrics, databases and
queries/design docs. We have at least as many more in the backlog, and
we are constantly adding more as we find more issues during our
professional support service work.

You can configure Opservatory to receive alerts via email or Slack, and
it covers all CouchDB versions: 1.x, 2.x and 3.x. It even works with
Cloudant!

And while we are very happy with where we are already, we have big
plans to make maintaining CouchDB in production even easier with
features round capacity planning and seamless growth as well as helping
to automate common maintenance tasks safely.

If you have any questions, I’m happy to answer off-list.

If you think this is interesting, we welcome you to sign up for a free
trial at https://opservatory.app.

Best
Jan
—

24/7 Observation for your CouchDB Instances:
https://opservatory.app

Re: Announcing Opservatory: 24/7 CouchDB Observation and Analysis

Posted by Chintan from Rebhu <ch...@rebhu.com>.
Congratulations on the launch, Jan.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hey Jan and folks at Neighbourhoodie. This is awesome. Congratulations

All the best

Andy
--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg

GPG fingerprint C32E 275F BCF3 9DF6 4E55  21BD 45D3 5653 77F9 3D29

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Nice :)

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana <do...@apache.org>.