Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mike Stanley <ms...@cauldronsolutions.com> on 2003/11/07 19:26:16 UTC

Betwixt troubles...

Hey everyone,

I'm running into an issue with some Betwixt code.  I'm trying to Write/Read
a bean associated with .betwixt file.

I can't seem to get attributes to be set when reading in the xml.  writing
works fine.  I've tried several ways (including defaulting to primitiveTypes
and specificing an updater method).  Here is the content of the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<info primitiveTypes="attribute">
    <element name="rcss">
        <attribute property="type"/>
        <element name="requests">
            <element name="isValid">
                    <element name="agent-id">
                        <attribute name="value" property="agentId"/>
                    </element>
                    <!-- <element name="agent-id" property="agentId"
updater="setAgentId"/> -->
            </element>
        </element>
    </element>
</info>

----
Results form a write:

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<rcss type="request" src="167.154.203.22" requestor="install_app">
    <requests>
        <isValid cert="Z0123456789">
            <agent-id value="01"/>
        </isValid>
</requests>
</rcss>

---
Results from read:

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<rcss type="request" src="167.154.203.22" requestor="install_app">
    <requests>
        <isValid>
            <agent-id/>
        </isValid>
</requests>
</rcss>

---
What is going wrong?  What can I do to fix this problem?  modifying the
format of the XML is not an option.  Also note - using the Commented out
element in the betwixt file instead of specifically specifying the
attribute, results in <agent-id>01</agent-id> which isn't correct either.

Thanks for your help.
- Mike

RE: [betwixt] Betwixt troubles...

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 16:40, Mike Stanley wrote:
> Ok cool.  Thanks for looking into this for me.  (don't worry about it being
> late, not a big deal.  I just had to use Castor for the unmarshalling and
> Betwixt for the Marshalling - not really the most elegant but it did the
> trick temporarily.  It's actually funny, because I tried just switching to
> Castor completely, but was unable to do the complex marshalling with it,
> however it did manage to handle the unmarshalling well.  ;-)
>
> 1) Somehow I got it in my head that the name attribute was optional if the
> property attribute was present, and that the property this would cause the
> name of the element/attribute to be the default value (based off the
> property).
>
> 2) Ok.  So what is the best thing to do.  Should I grab a CVS snapshot?  Is
> this pretty stable (comparable to the 2/2003 snapshot, and/or alpha 1
> release - btw I view those as stable enough to use in prod)?

Don't know if Robert has anything in the pipeline for betwixt (haven't
spoken to him yet), but I think it is pretty solid. I still have to look
at the todo's that are present and 2 bug that is pending  (if a value is
null an empty element or attribute will be created, which results in an
empty string when marshalling, instead of not setting the variable) and
commons-sql has some issue with betwixt too, but I think I fixed that
with my commit from last night.
It's probably time for a release anyway (eg alpha-2), since a lot of
things got fixed since the last release. Since the last release also a
big refactor took place, but the test coverage has almost doubled, so I
am pretty confident in the stability..

Hope this helps..

Mvgr,
Martin

RE: [betwixt] Betwixt troubles...

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Don't think that works, since I cannot remember any code that resolves
the dot in betwixt (I written a library who can handle this though,
which is not betwixt related..), so maybe someday :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Mike Stanley <ms...@cauldronsolutions.com>.

Posted by Mike Stanley <ms...@cauldronsolutions.com>.