Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> on 2003/08/28 18:13:33 UTC

RE: First mod_jk problem - can't start apache with Include statement (revisited)

Not really sure if this is a problem as of yet.  I currently cannot test
my configuration ... But I just wanted to write again regarding this
issue.  As I followed the how-to, I did things a little out of order.
Before changing Tomcat, and while Tomcat was not running, I added the
LoadModule and Include statements into httpd.conf.  I then ran an
apachectl configtest.  The configtest executed fine and I was returned
an error message that the file mod_jk.conf could not be found.  This was
right, because the file was not generated yet.

I then set up server.xml and created my workers.properties and started
Tomcat, which started no problem.

I then went back to apache and ran another configtest, and surprise...
It hangs... And so does apachectl start ...So we're back to the same
issue.  I am having a hard time at this point believing it is an Apache
issue, because the configtest executed fine with the include before
Tomcat was started and before the mod_jk.conf was created.

So what I did next was one at a time, I added in the Jk statements into
the httpd.conf to rule out this being an issue with the mod_jk
module(?).  First I added in the JkWorkersFile, then ran a configtest.
Then added in the JkLogFile and ran a configtest.  Lastly added in some
JkMount statements and ran a configtest.  At each of these points, the
configtest executed and was successful.  I can also start and stop
apache no problem.

As I mentioned, I cannot test whether or not mod_jk works just yet
(network issues)... There were no errors when starting either Tomcat or
apache.  But I do find it strange that I can't start apache just because
I have the Include statement.

Any further thoughts on this?  The output of httpd -l just lists
mod_core and mod_so.  I have all other modules added as DSO's.

Thanks :)
DEnise

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
A good test would be to create a file called "test.conf" in
APACHE_HOME/conf.

In that file, put the following:

###
### this is an apache comment
###

Change the Include line in httpd.conf to include the file test.conf and
NOT mod_jk.conf.

Then start Apache or run configtest and see what happens.  If it hangs,
its definitely an Apache issue.

John

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
I woudl skip the Include statement and modify httpd.conf manually as you
have.  For anything but a simple configuration, you have to do it
anyway, so there's no real loss.

John