Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/22 21:47:33 UTC

Tomcat 8: Rename property used by JarScanFilter to be the same as in Tomcat 7.

Hi!

In Tomcat 8 the default list of jars to skip is provided to
StandardJarScanFilter by the following system property:

> "tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip"

It differs from the property used by Tomcat 7:

> "tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip"

I find this inconvenient. I propose to change it back to the name used
by Tomcat 7, because it is the same feature.

Note that the following properties have been removed:

> "org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.jarsToSkip"
> "org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.jarsToSkip"

They are superseded by <JarScanFilter> element that is present in the
default conf/context.xml file.

BTW, the following places need to be updated:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-8.html
Does not mention this change in property name and removal of two properties.

> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/systemprops.html#JAR_Scanning
Still documents the old properties.

> StandardJarScanFilter() constructor
It parses the same property value three times. A remnant from old configuration.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 8: Rename property used by JarScanFilter to be the same as in Tomcat 7.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/11/23 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 22/11/2013 20:47, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> In Tomcat 8 the default list of jars to skip is provided to
>> StandardJarScanFilter by the following system property:
>>
>>> "tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip"
>>
>> It differs from the property used by Tomcat 7:
>>
>>> "tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip"
>>
>> I find this inconvenient. I propose to change it back to the name used
>> by Tomcat 7, because it is the same feature.
>
> -0. It is the same feature but a different implementation that is part
> of a broader refactoring. I'd prefer something like using the new
> property but falling back to the old one if the new one can't be found.

It is just a property name. There is no such class as
"DefaultJarScanner" in neither version of Tomcat, it is called
StandardJarScanner in both 7 and 8.

The list of ignored JARs can be long and it is better to configure and
manage it once, regardless of version.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/2013 20:47, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In Tomcat 8 the default list of jars to skip is provided to
> StandardJarScanFilter by the following system property:
>
>> "tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip"
>
> It differs from the property used by Tomcat 7:
>
>> "tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip"
>
> I find this inconvenient. I propose to change it back to the name used
> by Tomcat 7, because it is the same feature.

-0. It is the same feature but a different implementation that is part
of a broader refactoring. I'd prefer something like using the new
property but falling back to the old one if the new one can't be found.

Mark