Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Erik Lundström <er...@solme.se> on 2009/08/24 10:03:37 UTC

Adding images to Excel sheet with existing Chart - is this possible?

Hello,

I recently (August 21) posted a message with the same subject on the "user" group, and was advised to post a follow-up on the dev group.

My problem - in short - is that I need to be able to write images to a Sheet where there is also a chart present in my "Excel template" file.

Using various tests (my "real" Excel template and stripped versions of it, as well as more simplistic templates with only "empty" charts in them) has lead me to the depressing conclusion that there is a Catch22 here: Charts must be present from scratch in the Excel template file (as by the given limitations in the POI (HSSF+XSSF) project), but writing images to a Sheet in a Workbook where there are charts just isn't possible. (I have succeeded to write images to a Sheet when there are charts on OTHER sheets, but never when there is a chart present on the "image sheet" itself).

The person replying on my message on the "user" group stated that "I know why the images are missing when you try to add them to a sheet that contains a chart - the required records are simply not created. I also think that I know why; I think that the drawing records are parsed when the method is called and this both corrupts the chart data and the drawing aggregate records themselves."

I would be very grateful if somebody here could clarify the image/chart problem! Can one make them co-exist, or must I use an external workaround (like having a macro reading the images afterwards to the Sheet). All other suggestions are highly welcome, of course.

I have been using POI 3.5 Beta6.

Source is here (standalone example, images and the various Excel templates I have tried):

http://uploading.com/files/HOJ1VIKT/POITest.zip.html

Thanks

Erik

Erik Lundström