Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/07/31 22:04:08 UTC

OpenOffice User Forums (was RE: An introduction and a discussion about ...)

Thanks for the great introductory note and discussion, Terry.

I'd like to focus on this a little differently.

Namely, sustaining OpenOffice.org as it is, at least in terms of user-facing and use-authored sections.  Core development and bug reporting might be factored out of that structure to integrate with the specific demands of the Apache project.

I believe this is consistent with the planning that David Fisher points to:
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-PPMC-Plan>

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning>
[Note that there are more forums than the Spanish-language one.  We probably need the full list.]

Terry, can you help us answer some of the questions there?  Can you help us find other maintainers?

 - Dennis

INFRASTRUCTURE RESTRAINTS?

However we do this, there is an infrastructure hit, whether supported on a third-party service (requiring fees) or on the Apache.org infrastructure but with the OpenOffice.org domain and subdomains.

There may be a technical barrier to operating this web site and forums on Apache infrastructure.  The PHP license appears to be Category A although I haven't found an official classification by Apache.  PHPBB is distributed under the GPL and that's problematic, especially with regard to customizations, i.e., MODs, that may have been made for the OpenOffice.org forums.  We'd have to determine whether there is actually a policy issue for Apache in terms of operating such software on Apache infrastructure.  It might be a non-problem, but we need to ask them.

[With regard to LAMP, I don't think Apache runs Linux - it appears to use FreeBSD wherever I've seen the OS exposed - and I suspect alternatives to MySQL, such as PostgreSQL are used as well.]

So how can we address this concern positively?  What solutions have minimal friction and maximum preservation and perpetuation of the valuable resource that the forums and materials are?  I think that is so valuable that we should leave no stone unturned in seeking a workable approach.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
--- On Sun, 7/31/11, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> > INFRASTRUCTURE RESTRAINTS?
> >
> > However we do this, there is an infrastructure hit,
> whether supported on a third-party service (requiring fees)
> or on the Apache.org infrastructure but with the
> OpenOffice.org domain and subdomains.

 (Huge SNIP here)

> > [With regard to LAMP, I don't think Apache runs Linux
> - it appears to use FreeBSD wherever I've seen the OS
> exposed - and I suspect alternatives to MySQL, such as
> PostgreSQL are used as well.]

FWIW, FreeBSD runs phpBB (and just about anything LAMP
that I know of) just fine:

http://www.freshports.org/www/phpbb

The supported version is somewhat outdated but I can help
fix that :).

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: OpenOffice User Forums (was RE: An introduction and a discussion about ...)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 31, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Thanks for the great introductory note and discussion, Terry.
>
> I'd like to focus on this a little differently.
>
> Namely, sustaining OpenOffice.org as it is, at least in terms of user-facing and use-authored sections.  Core development and bug reporting might be factored out of that structure to integrate with the specific demands of the Apache project.
>
> I believe this is consistent with the planning that David Fisher points to:
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-PPMC-Plan>
>
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning>
> [Note that there are more forums than the Spanish-language one.  We probably need the full list.]
>
> Terry, can you help us answer some of the questions there?  Can you help us find other maintainers?
>
> - Dennis
>
> INFRASTRUCTURE RESTRAINTS?
>
> However we do this, there is an infrastructure hit, whether supported on a third-party service (requiring fees) or on the Apache.org infrastructure but with the OpenOffice.org domain and subdomains.
>
> There may be a technical barrier to operating this web site and forums on Apache infrastructure.  The PHP license appears to be Category A although I haven't found an official classification by Apache.  PHPBB is distributed under the GPL and that's problematic, especially with regard to customizations, i.e., MODs, that may have been made for the OpenOffice.org forums.  We'd have to determine whether there is actually a policy issue for Apache in terms of operating such software on Apache infrastructure.  It might be a non-problem, but we need to ask them.

I think it is already established. The license concern is mostly regarding release distributions and apache.org websites.

> [With regard to LAMP, I don't think Apache runs Linux - it appears to use FreeBSD wherever I've seen the OS exposed - and I suspect alternatives to MySQL, such as PostgreSQL are used as well.]

http://apache.org/dev/infrastructure.html

http://apache.org/dev/machines.html

There are Ubuntu machines, it looks like as part of the build farm.

Take a look at the "Jails - Services" and "Jail - TLPs"

> So how can we address this concern positively?  What solutions have minimal friction and maximum preservation and perpetuation of the valuable resource that the forums and materials are?  I think that is so valuable that we should leave no stone unturned in seeking a workable approach.

We are preparing to pull all of the main Kenai website into svn - perhaps with scripted rewrapping so that we can publish each as a project under the incubator site in preparation for release to an openoffice.org apache hosted site. I hoping to continue my efforts with this in the next couple of days and will keep people posted.

Before we start moving the whole OOo, I would like to provide a script for people to test. I'll be using the Apache CMS to do this work. The script is started and added to the svn next to the hg to svn scripts in ooo/trunk/tools/dev/fetch-all-web.sh

Regards,
Dave