Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Geoff Soper <ge...@alphaworks.co.uk> on 2006/07/17 12:53:08 UTC

Unsubscribing from SA Users

I'm loath to post this message but I can't manage to unsubscribe!

First of all, I sent a blank mail from this address (i.e. the subscribed
address) to users-unsubscribe@spamassassin.apache.org as indicated by the
relevent header in each mail I receive from the list:

This caused a confirmation e-mail to arrive at this address which I duely
responded to, still from this address and to the specially formed
confirmation address. This then caused an ezmlm response which said this
address isn't subscribed so can be unsubscribed (see bottom of this mail).
It also suggested looing for a "Return-Path:" header but this header
doesn't exist in any of the mails I receive from the list.

I've tried mailing users-help@spamassassin.apache.org and Justin replied a
few days agi suggesting sending a mail to
users-unsubscribe-geoff.spamassassin2=alphaworks.co.uk@spamassassin.apache.org
but this also failed. I replied to Justin to this effect but have
receieved nothing since.

Can anyone else offer any suggestions as to what is going on here and what
I  might try next?

Apologies for a silly mail,
Geoff

Acknowledgment: The address

   geoff.spamassassin2@alphaworks.co.uk

was not on the users mailing list when I received
your request and is not a subscriber of this list.

If you unsubscribe, but continue to receive mail, you're subscribed under
a different address than you currently use. Please look at the header for:

Re: Unsubscribing from SA Users

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Monday 17 July 2006 14:44, Geoff Soper took the opportunity to write:
> Someone else suggested I set up a bounce but I'm not actually sure how to
> do a proper bounce, would a simple procmailrc textual bounce do or does it
> need to be done at the MTA level?

Unless you have the Return-Path procmail won't work. If you do, or if you have
access to the MTA, you already have the information needed to unsubscribe
normally.

> I certainly don't know the knowledge and probably not the access to be
> fiddling with firewalls.

Asking your administrator to make sure that Return-Path: lines are added will
help with other issues in the future as well, so it's a good idea to do that.
I think (hope?) the firewall suggestion was more of a joke.

> Surely it shouldn't be this difficult to unsubscribe?

No. If you're actually subscribed as <ge...@alphaworks.co.uk> the
list admin can probably unsubscribe you in a second, but may be reluctant to
do so for pedagogic reasons, or lack time.

Look at the header of a mail from the list. See what addresses are mentioned
in the Received: and Delivered-To: lines, like in my case:

	by mail.lysator.liu.se (Postfix) with SMTP id 8D9DB200A1EB
	for <ho...@lysator.liu.se>; Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:34:38 +0200 (CEST)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Posted by Geoff Soper <ge...@alphaworks.co.uk>.
Someone else suggested I set up a bounce but I'm not actually sure how to
do a proper bounce, would a simple procmailrc textual bounce do or does it
need to be done at the MTA level?

I certainly don't know the knowledge and probably not the access to be
fiddling with firewalls.

Surely it shouldn't be this difficult to unsubscribe?

Thanks,
Geoff

Geoff

Posted by Sietse van Zanen <si...@wizdom.nu>.