Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by CJ <ch...@localnet.com> on 2003/05/09 12:39:26 UTC

[users@httpd] desperate please help

I just installed a netgear cable/dsl wireless router to share internet
access with another comp. I have apache 2.0.44 installed and running win
xp. Before I installed the hub the internet was able to connect to my
domain name cherrysplace.com fine. And my ip address was 24.105.197.156
Now after installing the hub nobody can access my website and it is
giving me a different ip which is 192.168.0.1. I am using no-ip as a
redirect for my domain name to use with apache and with the hub
installed it is telling me that my ip is 204.xx something or another. I
had to unplug the hub to get my old ip back and my site works fine
again. Please help, I cannot figure how to configure this with the hub
installed.
I am not having problems with the netgear at all, when it was hooked to
both comps, we can both access the internet, I am only having problems
with configureing my ip.
thanks

Re: [users@httpd] desperate please help

Posted by Thomas Strike <st...@pacbell.net>.
P.S.  In the Netgear setup, you should also reserve your server's static IP
address from DHCP so that it doesn't get assigned to another computer.  In
your server, set it's LAN adapter with a static IP address and subnet mask
of 255.255.255.0. Do not assume that DHCP will always assign the same
address.

Tom S.

RE: [users@httpd] desperate please help

Posted by CJ <ch...@localnet.com>.
Hank you so much...i will try that
cherry

"I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell"
Dont forget to visit Cherrys Place

From: "CJ" <ch...@localnet.com>

>if I understand correctly, I wont be able to view my site
>within my network? But when I signed on aol I could get
>to it and others can access it.

One more thing.  If you install a second DNS service inside for your
local
network, You can also access your domains on your local machines without
having to go to the Internet.  Even if you are not Hosting your own DNS
services, you can do this.  This is the way I am set up.

glad to help,
Tom S.

Re: [users@httpd] desperate please help

Posted by Thomas Strike <st...@pacbell.net>.

Posted by CJ <ch...@localnet.com>.
I just wanna thank everyone for all their help yesterday with my
problem. IT WORKED. Im so stupid when it comes to these things. Anyway,
I kept trying what everyone told me to do and I couldn't get nothing,
then I found out that your advice worked afterall..if I understand
correctly, I wont be able to view my site within my network? But when I
signed on aol I could get to it and others can access it.
So thank you everyone yall are lifesavers

Posted by Thomas Strike <st...@pacbell.net>.

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
First of all, there a big difference between a hub, router and a switch. How
many ports does your router have? Most routers have built-in switches, not
HUB's (Hubs are not a good idea in general, ESPECIALLY if you have a server
up and running).

To configure, you need to install the router, and log in to a PC behind it.
Make sure that the PC is configured with DHCP. Then log in to yout router
with http://192.168.0.1/ . This is absolutely neccesary.
After that, you need to configure your router, because it will usually not
allow you to run a Webserver out-of-the-box.
Last, you'll probably need to change your httpd.conf so that it will not
listen on your original IP anymore.

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus.