Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Brad Olin <bw...@bwo1.com> on 2003/07/01 01:07:17 UTC

newbie install/config questions.

Hi guys,

Let me first say I'm no expert, but I bumble well.  I have a redhat 7.3
box that I compiled apache(1.3.26) and mod_perl(1.27) into some time
ago.

I today downloaded and installed Apache::ASP via the CPAN method that is
documented on the web page.  The quick start area of the install page
says to `cp -rpd ./site $DOCUMENT_ROOT/asp` however I could not find any
such directory.  i.e. `find /usr -type d -name site -print` didn't
return anything.  Nor did `find /root/.cpan -type d -name site -print`

Okay, so I went to http://www.apache-asp.org/eg/index.html and did a
wget for each link found there (some were followed and then wget'd).

The problem is I can't seem to get the tests to run.  One of the error
outputs is attached.  What it looks like to me is it tries to compile
global.asa and has a problem with line 2, which contains "use DemoASP;"
I can't fine that file, nor DemoASP.pm, anyplace.  Can anybody give me a
clue, or if it's just as simple as a missing file, the URL of the
missing file?

Thanks in advance
Brad

--
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power."                          Abraham Lincoln

Bradley W. Olin                                  http://www.bwo1.com

Re: newbie install/config questions.

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Brad Olin wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Let me first say I'm no expert, but I bumble well.  I have a redhat 7.3
> box that I compiled apache(1.3.26) and mod_perl(1.27) into some time
> ago.
>
> I today downloaded and installed Apache::ASP via the CPAN method that is
> documented on the web page.  The quick start area of the install page
> says to `cp -rpd ./site $DOCUMENT_ROOT/asp` however I could not find any
> such directory.  i.e. `find /usr -type d -name site -print` didn't
> return anything.  Nor did `find /root/.cpan -type d -name site -print`

$DOCUMENT_ROOT refers to your DocumentRoot setting location in the httpd.conf
which could be anything, often is /usr/local/apache/htdocs

> Okay, so I went to http://www.apache-asp.org/eg/index.html and did a
> wget for each link found there (some were followed and then wget'd).

This won't work as you discovered, you need to copy the entire ./eg examples
directory from the distribution for the examples to work.

> The problem is I can't seem to get the tests to run.  One of the error
> outputs is attached.  What it looks like to me is it tries to compile
> global.asa and has a problem with line 2, which contains "use DemoASP;"
> I can't fine that file, nor DemoASP.pm, anyplace.  Can anybody give me a
> clue, or if it's just as simple as a missing file, the URL of the
> missing file?

Right, DemoASP.pm for example is loaded from global.asa and resides
at ./site/eg/DemoASP.pm, you will need to copy everything including
the .htaccess from the distribution ./site/eg to get the examples
to work.

Regards,

Josh