Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Larsson <da...@benima.se> on 2003/12/18 13:30:20 UTC

Problem when loading a dump file with filenames including swedish characters

Hi!

I created a dump file from CVS on a linux machine (cvs2svn). Then I try
to import that dump file on a windows machine with subversion (version
0.34). The svnadmin load works OK, but it corrupts the swedish
characters in the filename. If I later browse the repository via http,
it works and I can look at the file but the filename looks like shit.
The command line svn tool on the other hand can't handle these filenames
in any way, so I can't rename or delete them in the repository.

When i write "svn list http://localhost/svn/TestCVS/trunk", the svn
client says:
svn: Invalid argument
svn: Safe data:
"TestFileWith"
... was followed by non-ascii byte 229.

Non-ascii character detected (see above), and unable to convert to/from
UTF-8.

I created a really small dump file from a CVS repos with just one file
(with my swedish characters), if some of you want to recreate the
problem. The file is attached as well as pasted below.

Thanks for a really great product!
Regards
David

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> Folks, am I right to think that the dumpfile should be using UTF8, and
> 'svnadmin load' should be expecting UTF8, and his locale shouldn't
> matter a whit?

Yes.  But he created his dumpfile from CVS -- does cvs2svn take care
of UTF8 string conversion?

Re: Problem when loading a dump file with filenames including swedish characters

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Hmmm... What is your locale?  (Just curious, I think we'll want to
file an issue here in any case.)

Folks, am I right to think that the dumpfile should be using UTF8, and
'svnadmin load' should be expecting UTF8, and his locale shouldn't
matter a whit?

-Karl