Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com> on 2013/01/14 23:05:16 UTC

[OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Hi there,

I'm sure plenty of folks here will have heard and/or worked with the
Parsley framework.

Jens just posted his farewell to Flex message on the spicefactory site:

http://www.spicefactory.org/news/news-2013-01-14.php

Sad to see him go off to new horizons, but not much of a surprise either.
Jens is an awesome developer and I learnt quite few things from him, plus I
had some nice
technical discussions with him.

cheers,

Roland

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
No it means I'm not corporate and don't give a crap about anything. ;-)

Like I said, I would be the last one this project wants talking for
them. Like I told you Roland, at least Apache recycles. I consider
them one of the greenest companies on the planet. Go Apache!

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>JavaScript unfortunately is the only road left. This decade of my life will be fulfilled if the tortoise can walk passed the hare stuffing his face with jQuery muffins. I think this project has a >chance, because you get enough smart people together, something WILL happen.

Just made me do a spit take.

Thanks for making my afternoon better,
Mike

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Michael Schmalle
<ap...@teotigraphix.com>wrote:

> JavaScript unfortunately is the only road left. This decade of my life
> will be fulfilled if the tortoise can walk passed the hare stuffing his
> face with jQuery muffins.

Love that comment :-)

RE: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>Care to explain what's wrong with singletons?

As others have mentioned, true singletons preclude unit testing IMO. A true unit test relies on the fact that one test does not affect another. If one test creates any global states, including a singleton, then it necessarily alters the starting state for the next test.

I have no problem with something _acting_ like a singleton and ensuring that, within a given context, there is only one copy. I just think that enforcement should happen via something like dependency injection wherein you can choose whether it is truly 'globalish', contextual or that you choose to create a new one every time (which is the case when you are testing).

Hope that makes some sense. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with any pattern, it is simply that patterns have usefulness within certain confines. A singleton is a great way to approach certain applications but begins to get in your way when you have multiple modules (especially if you want to unload them), testing or areas of your application that need different contexts. This is not the case for many, many applications and hence like any other tool, I say use them but understand when not to.

Mike

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
Singletons can get confusing once your application is separated into
functional modules,
sometimes you may want to have a 'singleton', but only within the scope of
a functional module.
If you don't use some kind of dependency injection container that takes
care of this scoping
things can become quite complicated.
So, there is certainly nothing wrong with the concept of a singleton, but
the way that is implemented
in some Actionscript frameworks makes it rather rigid.  I mean this kind of
code:

MySingletonClass.getInstance()

Which in a unit testing scenario is a nightmare. In general, static
functions might even be considered a
code smell. (But I'm sure folks can come up with scenario's where they are
perfectly suitable).

Roland

--
regards,
Roland

--
Roland Zwaga
Senior Consultant | Stack & Heap BVBA

+32 (0)486 16 12 62 | roland@stackandheap.com | http://www.stackandheap.com

http://zwaga.blogspot.com
http://www.springactionscript.org
http://www.as3commons.org

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Edouard <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
IMHO;

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
Jude, good point about generic event dispatchers, however that makes you
reliant on either static classes or singletons that care about state.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
After laerning puremvc and robotlegs I got a mate project. At first I found
it frustrating, then I got used to it. Then I wondered why the views were
written so tightly that I couldn't shift the ui from the top to the left
side. I think its similar enough to robotlegs , but not so good at
preventing you from 'doing it wrong' as RL2 is.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
Oh and software craftsmanship

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>Non constant static vars would be the code smell then, no?

If they are being used for any type of states, yes. If they aren't, then I would need to wonder why they are constants. It's difficult to get complete code isolation, and static vars are a good example of where people tend to simply use them. I think, when possible, it's worth going to extra mile to make it isolatable.

Mike

RE: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
Non constant static vars would be the code smell then, no?

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
I have heard good things about "Mate" for MVC.  Has anyone used it?

Mate URL: http://mate.asfusion.com/

-Mark

Speaking of Singletons and frameworks, Robotlegs has solved this problem in
a very nice way. They say that a class should not care about how many
instances it has. So there are no Singletons but there are dependency
injections that will always pass the one and only instance. The logic is
the same (there are times when you need only one instance) but the
implementation differs.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM, jude <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Tianzhen Lin <ta...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > I told the whiners of Flash if they hate Flash ads, they can disable the
> > plugin by default with the browser, and there are plenty of those
> add-in's.
> > But once the same Flash ad producers start making the same crappy ads in
> > HTML 5, there is no more block HTML 5 feature.  :)
>

> Exactly! They should want Flash back specifically *because* you can disable
> it.
>
> @Avi - Sortof. You can dispatch events from any object that extends
> IEventDispatcher. If that object is a display object and is on the display
> list that event will bubble up through it (if bubbles are set to true). If
> it's a regular object you would just add an event listener to it to to
> handle any of it's events. Also, as for singletons, they don't get as much
> MXML love as the rest of the SDK but that doesn't mean you have to give up
> on them. A few months ago I made a Singleton Enforcer class so that *any*
> class can be a Singleton and referenced in MXML.
>
> The way it works is you declare in the root application or a document an
> instance of your class /singleton in MXML (yes MXML). This can be any class
> with instance variables on it (they don't have to be static and you don't
> need to create a getInstance() method except if you want to reference it in
> AS). Next, you add a RegisterSingleton MXML class and bind it to that
> instance. That registers it in Flex's global singleton manager. Then in any
> component you need it you can declare your singleton class (in MXML) and
> add a SingletonEnforcer class next to it. When you run your application the
> Singleton Enforcer class will ensure that that instance is the same
> instance across the application. Reading previous discussions it sounds
> like AOT accomplishes the same thing.

--
Nick Tsitlakidis,

CEO and Software Architect at Perfect Edge LTD.
www.perfectedz.com

Re: [OT] The end of the SpiceFactory

Posted by Nick Tsitlakidis <ni...@perfectedz.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tianzhen Lin <ta...@usa.net>.
I told the whiners of Flash if they hate Flash ads, they can disable the
plugin by default with the browser, and there are plenty of those add-in's.
But once the same Flash ad producers start making the same crappy ads in
HTML 5, there is no more block HTML 5 feature.  :)  They still don't get it,
they still think Google's JS engine is faster than AVM2, true -- but Flash
is very fast when translating DisplayObject to pixels on the screen, whereas
HTML DOM -- that's where all the bottlenecks are.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
As great as events are they are limited to the display list.
I still think singleton's should be avoided as much as possible.

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.
Wow, so much arrogance and ignorance in one single post.

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Yeah, haha interesting comment about Swiz...

This is the true fact that Apache Flex is going to have to come to
terms with. What was is dead, what this project is to me, is the
ability to use the Apache infrastructure to build something new based
on the 10,000 of hours of work put into something.