Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com> on 2014/02/25 00:18:08 UTC

Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

I submitted the following request for help on the OWF mailing list but no
one is replying.  I'm hoping someone here may be able to help?

OWF is a webapp I'm trying to install to an existing instance of Tomcat (the
OWF webapp bundle ships with an older version of Tomcat).  Appendix C of the
attached guide provides short, simple steps to install OWF on an existing
instance of Tomcat.  I followed all the these straight-forward procedures
but the webapp fails to start - I get a HTTP Status 404 (requested resource
is not available).  Also, if I access OWF through Tomcat's Application
Manager, the URL address it follows goes to http://localhost:8080/owf/ when
it should go to https://localhost:8443/owf/ (if I go to this site directly,
the browser title bar just shows the message "Waiting for localhost" and
never does anything.

Other details of my setup:

-Windows 7

-Tomcat 7.0.42

-MySQL 5.6 (Note that I followed the directions on p. 12-13 to integrate
with MySQL).

-JDK 1.7.0_51-b13

Sorry to ask this question on this list, but I don't know where else to go.

Brian.

Re: Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

Posted by Leo Medina <le...@gmail.com>.
UNSUBSCRIBE

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Mikolaj,

On 25.02.2014 00:46, J. Brian Hall wrote:

> ERROR org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader  - Context
> initialization failed
> creating bean with name 'messageSource': Initialization of bean
> failed; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference
> to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory';
> nested exception is
> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
> Error
> creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Cannot resolve reference to
> bean 'hibernateProperties' while setting bean property
> 'hibernateProperties'; nested exception is
> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
> Error creating bean with name 'hibernateProperties': Cannot resolve
> reference to bean 'dialectDetector' while setting bean property
> 'properties'
> with key [hibernate.dialect]; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'dialectDetector': Invocation of init method
> failed; nested exception is
> org.springframework.jdbc.support.MetaDataAccessException

Is it the complete error message? Is there anything more in the logs?

Yes, the log files are extensive - should I post them here?  Which one?

Those error messages are related to JDBC problems. Is your DB up and running with all tables created and with correct permissions?

I had Tomcat and MySQL up and running without problems before this and the DB works with other webapps.  The OWF webapp that I'm trying to install provided a script to create the tables within the schema.  All lines of the script ran successfully.

You said, that install guide is for older version of Tomcat. Several versions of Tomcat back, there were changes in way one configures datasource resources. Maybe your install guide refers to the old way?

Yes, the OWF webapp comes with Tomcat 7.0.21.  I'm using Tomcat 7.0.42.  Should I changes how the datasource resources are configured?  How?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>

RE: Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM, J. Brian Hall <jb...@me.com> wrote:
> Leo,

No, it doesn't matter about your dev environment.  But if the cert
came from someone else, the reason you're getting the Certificate
error in your browser is because the cert wasn't issued to your domain
and wasn't issued by anyone that is a trusted authority to issue certs
in the first place.

> Just because the cert wasn't issued by a trusted source doesn't mean you
> can't self sign one yourself and use it.  If you created the cert correctly,
> and install it in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store, you
> "shouldn't" get that error message.
>
> Response: Assuming the webapp developer created the certs correctly, how do
> I install them in the Trusted Root Authorities store?

In your browser, I'm assuming IE, click on the Certificate Error next
to the address bar, then View Certificate, then Install Certificate.

Using that import wizard, choose the radio option to place the cert in
the following place.  Click browse, then click "Trusted Root
Certification Authorities"  and finish out the wizard.

I probably wouldn't do this if I were you.  I would generate my own
self signed certificate instead and install that the way I just
described.

If you forget that OWF cert is installed and happen to browse to a
site that requires that cert and the site is really unsafe, you won't
be happy later.

RE: Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Leo,

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Chuck, you are THE MAN!  That was it.  No log file now for the owf webapp.
It successfully initializes.  Also, when accessing owf from
http://localhost:8080/manager/html, I'm successfully prompted for
certificates and redirected to https://localhost:8443/owf

One other kink I tried to work-out.  When I go to
https://localhost:8443/owf, I get the following common message: "There is a
problem with this website's security certificate.  The security certificate
presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate
authority."  Bla, bla, bla, ...

I can click on "continue to this website and the webapp works fine and just
shows "untrusted certificate" highlighted in red where the URL is located in
the browser.  So I imported the certificates via Tools->Internet
Options->Content Tab->Certificates.  But I still get this "untrusted
certificate" message.

Is there any way to overcome this?

Thank you again for your help.
Brian.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Mikolaj,

On 25.02.2014 13:22, J. Brian Hall wrote:

> Feb 24, 2014 7:14:28 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
> SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler
> ["http-apr-8443"]
> java.lang.Exception: Connector attribute SSLCertificateFile must be
> defined when using SSL with APR

What about adding missing attribute?

I'm not sure what you mean?  Adding what missing attribute to what file?

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Chris,

On 2/24/14, 6:46 PM, J. Brian Hall wrote:
> Hey Chuck, thanks (I was worried someone would yell at me for posting
> this question here).  Responses are below ...
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Caldarale, Charles R
> [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com] Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014
> 6:26 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: RE: Installing the OWF webapp
> to an existing Tomcat Instance
>
>> From: J. Brian Hall [mailto:jbrianhallphd@me.com] Subject:
>> Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance
>
>> if I access OWF through Tomcat's Application Manager, the URL address
>> it follows goes to http://localhost:8080/owf/ when it should go to
>> https://localhost:8443/owf/
>
> That's expected - the manager doesn't know that the specified app is
> for https use only.  However, there could be a problem with your
> server.xml file in Tomcat's conf directory, so you should post that
> here with comments removed and sensitive information masked out.
> Also, look in the various Tomcat log files to see if the application
> initialized properly.
>

> Thanks.  Two comments:
>
> 1. The only thing I added to server.xml per the instructions is:
>
> <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
> maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
> keystoreFile="certs/keystore.jks" keystorePass="changeit"
> clientAuth="want" sslProtocol="TLS" />

Sanity check: you do have a certs/keystore.jks file and the password is in fact "changeIt", right? It would be best to fully-qualify the path of the keystore file.

Yes, the OWF distribution provided a certs folder with that file in it and 3 others.  I fully-qualified the path and I have the same result.

> 2. Log files.  Yes, the webapp fails to initialize.  Here's the first
> few lines:
>
> ERROR org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader  - Context
> initialization failed
> creating bean with name 'messageSource': Initialization of bean
> failed; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference
> to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory';
> nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Cannot resolve reference to
> bean 'hibernateProperties' while setting bean property
> 'hibernateProperties'; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'hibernateProperties': Cannot resolve
> reference to bean 'dialectDetector' while setting bean property
> 'properties' with key [hibernate.dialect]; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'dialectDetector': Invocation of init method
> failed; nested exception is
> org.springframework.jdbc.support.MetaDataAccessException

Failure to deploy ought to either cause Tomcat to immediately stop after trying to start or continue running and issue 404 responses for requests to /owf/ -- depending upon the severity of the error.

Is there anything suspicious in logs/catalina.out (or any other log file in logs/ for that matter)?

Yes, note that I don't have experience with the logs so I will provide parts that may shed light:

Feb 24, 2014 7:14:28 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-8443"]
java.lang.Exception: Connector attribute SSLCertificateFile must be defined when using SSL with APR

Feb 24, 2014 7:14:28 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService initInternal
SEVERE: Failed to initialize connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8443]]
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8443]]

Feb 24, 2014 7:15:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Error listenerStart

Feb 24, 2014 7:15:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/owf] startup failed due to previous errors

Feb 24, 2014 7:15:13 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
SEVERE: The web application [/owf] registered the JDBC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Feb 24, 2014 7:15:13 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/owf] appears to have started a thread named [HSQLDB Timer @dd627f] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

- -chris

Re: Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.
Mark,

> 2. Log files.  Yes, the webapp fails to initialize.  Here's the first
> few
> lines:
>
> ERROR org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader  - Context
> initialization failed
> creating bean with name 'messageSource': Initialization of bean
> failed; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference
> to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory';
> nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Cannot resolve reference to bean
'hibernateProperties' while setting bean property 'hibernateProperties';
nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
> Error creating bean with name 'hibernateProperties': Cannot resolve
> reference to bean 'dialectDetector' while setting bean property
'properties'
> with key [hibernate.dialect]; nested exception is
> creating bean with name 'dialectDetector': Invocation of init method
> failed; nested exception is
> org.springframework.jdbc.support.MetaDataAccessException

Where did you put the JAR containing your JDBC driver? It should be in the
lib directory and nowhere else.

Yes, I have mysql-connector-java-5.1.26-bin.jar placed in CATALINA_HOME\lib
(and nowhere else).

Mark

Re: Installing the OWF webapp to an existing Tomcat Instance

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "J. Brian Hall" <jb...@me.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Bobby Walker <bo...@icloud.com>.