Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Todd Eddy <vr...@neo.rr.com> on 2004/02/06 06:21:02 UTC

svn enabled for a remote website

Here's another "think tank" situation.

Ever since I've started to look at svn I've thought about making my
website svn enabled.  Here are the issues though:

- website is hosted on a shared hosting plan, so can't install svn on
that server (probably could with enough hacking, but don't want the
limited ammount of space on have there eaten up by svn.
- svn is on the local network here on a computer that is connected
24/7 to an allways on internet connection.
- when modifing pages, I want to see the changes immediately if I
mess up something
- there were others that I can't think of right now

I've though of a couple ideas for this.  Now this first one uses the
idea that you can pretty much read straight from the repository
folder without problems, which it sounds like you can.  I would set
up an rsync connection between my computer here and the hosts server.
 when I start to modify stuff, I run a script that runs it every 1 or
2 minutes.  Won't be that big of a deal since it only uploads what
changes, so most of the time it won't be doing anything.  But I would
commit the changed file to the repository, which would then get on
the website within a couple minutes, which is an acceptable ammount
of time to wait.

The other method, which I would probably end up doing if I decide to
do it, is basically keeping the two separate.  I would make changes
and upload them to the site, if it works right I'll commit the file
to the repository.  Plus this would allow me to not have to put
everything in svn, and put all the items I do want to track in svn.
My main area of concern is the "reference" section, which has
writeups I do on various topics (working on a detailed how-to install
svn) and then maybe the section with all my style sheets and includes
and stuff.  Neither area gets updated too frequently, so this upload
and then commit version would probably be more ideal in a situation
like this.

I know there is an svn powered wiki script out there, but I'm still
going to be the only person that adds or modifies files.  I'm not
even sure if I'm going to do it, mainly just going to use svn for the
scripts I'm going to be making, not for web pages.  This is just sort
of an after-thought thing that I thought some people would like to
brainstorm about if your waiting to get out of work friday :)
--
Todd Eddy
vrillusions@neo.rr.com

Re: svn enabled for a remote website

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Todd Eddy wrote:

> - website is hosted on a shared hosting plan, so can't install svn on
> that server (probably could with enough hacking, but don't want the
> limited ammount of space on have there eaten up by svn.

You should differentiate between the svn repository (and the associated
processes needed to access it) and the svn client only.  The client only isn't
that bad.

> - svn is on the local network here on a computer that is connected
> 24/7 to an allways on internet connection.

This is your svn repository/server, then.

> - when modifing pages, I want to see the changes immediately if I
> mess up something

Not cool on a production site! YMMV

What I am in the process of setting up in subversion is exactly what I am doing
now with CVSNT:

1) Test server contains both the web sites and the subversion repository, with a
post-commit trigger to keep the web sites up to date;

2) Production server contains client only and is updated manually (after testing).

This works great now with CVSNT (recent versions have a post-commit hook) with
multiple developers.  Another advantage to this scheme is that the test server
can actually keep a branch checked out for major updates, while the production
server is still on the trunk (or vice versa).  A quick 'svn switch' can move
either to a different branch for testing or deployment.  I can even make
corrections to the production site (by switching the trunk) and then return to
the major update (by switching back to the branch).

The one thing I would like to try is to serve the test site directly from the
repository (without a WC), but I haven't had to time to test that...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group