Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/02 06:25:01 UTC

Update build instructions on PermGen space?

Hello,

Our build instructions[1] say the following:  On 64bit platforms (64bit
Linux and Solaris are known to require this), you also need to increase the
PermGen space: export MAVEN_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xmx512M"

It has turned out that I needed to do this also on a 32-bit Ubuntu Linux
box.  Should we update the instructions to (1) tell people to *always* add
the MaxPermSize value above (even for the Windows folks) in addition to the
-Xmx512M one, or (2) should I just rephrase the above to tell people to also
use this if they get PermGen errors, or (3) remove the 64bit platform issue
and just say if you're using Linux or Solaris (i.e., regardless of 32 or 64
bit) to add this value.

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://cxf.apache.org/building.html

Re: Update build instructions on PermGen space?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Definitely update it.   Actually, on 64bit linux, you may
need -XX:MaxPermSize=192m now.   That's what I have mine set to, but I don't
remember why I set it to that.   May have been from building SMX or Geronimo
or something.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

RE: Update build instructions on PermGen space?

Posted by Sean O'Callaghan <SE...@progress.com>.
Hi Glen,

Personally, don't set JAVA_OPTS, don't think it is used.

Seán.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean O'Callaghan <SE...@progress.com>.
Hi,